Interior 1st Gen Swoosh Gauges

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by nabeshin, Dec 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Anybody have any experience with Swoosh Gauges? It seems like they are just a discount knock-off of Defi gauges. From what I gather, they are durable and accurate. I like the price point but it seems like they could be noisy at start up based on the youtube videos I've seen. The color does seem to match the stock gauges very well though.

I've looked into Marshall gauges, but I don't like how the rim lights up as well as the numbers. That just seems like light leakage from poor quality construction.

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Kind of look like the ProSports too.... Prosports pretty much match the orange spot-on... Slightly noisy but not really that noticeable.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Speaking of noisy gauges. Whenever I open the door and sit down in my R56, prior to starting the engine, I hear a lot of noise coming from somewhere around the speedometer. Does anyone know why this happens? What's the purpose? Just curious.

4. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My car does this from time to time too with a slight movement of the speedometer and tach needles, I think it has something to do with the various sleep and hibernation modes the on-board electronics can go into and when the key gets near them they begin to wake up.

Just imagine it's your MINI happy to see you.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So it's kind of like my dog getting excited when she knows we're heading outside. It must be the bulldog genes in the R56

6. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    actually if you watch your guages especially when you move the key to pos 1 they acutally do move and click...they calibrate themselves i think every time...in fact when i changed the guage faces in my MCS i had to turn the key and wait for them to calibrate before moving on to the next step