Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Taking apart R98s?!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Professor, May 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    So I cant find any useful info anywhere at all. I know I need an 8mm 12 point tool. Well I got one and broke it on the very first bolt sadly. I know they are held in by locktite but not in there good enough to break a damn tool!

Am I missing something? Not like I can take a torch to them and heat them up.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've taken a set apart before. They used Blue type Loctite on the bolts.

I bought a little tool that goes in a socket. Used a breaker bar to work them loose then a socket wrench to remove. I'd mail you this tool as it was good and strong but I lent it out...you know the rest of the story there.

DO NOT lose a bolt, you cannot buy these things..ask me how I know.

3. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    So you finally got a set? Did you trade your 18's or just buy a set?

4. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I used a boxed end wrench real low on the 12 point tool. The one I used is fairly long, a socket tended to roll off center/leverage and risked breaking or stripping the bolts.

...and when you go to put them back together, make sure the center is totally seated. If try to suck it down with the bolts they WILL break. Don't ask me how I know!!

I have a few spare bolts if needed.

5. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Im going to pick up some polished fasteners used on BBS wheels rather than use the oem one. One of the fasteners broke trying to remove it anyways so I had to save it for last and once the face was off remove the remaining stud with some vice grips.

Are the R98s built by BBS? I ask because the name on the inside of them is "RONAL".

I did get them all out after going out and picking up another bit. Its already worn out so it looks like I will return it under warranty till I am done ;)

6. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Bought a set here from miniconcarne. Going to keep my 18s possibility unless someone makes me the right offer. This way I can have some cruising wheels and some 17s to hit the track and dragon up.

7. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Ronal.
    Be aware the BBS bolts are stainless steel, R98s are titanium. I am sure you are. When I looked into these BBS bolts I was told that they would not work, probably for liability reasons. They were identical size and pitch. I'm not sure about length, which is very important, and the heads were male instead of female.

8. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear that you picked some up. That's the main reason I didn't trade - for one I really love the R98's, but I also figured one day I'll get some 18s and the R98's can be track wheels.

Can't wait to see your finished product, I know you had some really good plans.

Also, the factory BBS wheels I believe are the R90 (cross-spokes).