Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Team Dynamics 1.2, opinions/thoughts

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by LosOsosS, Nov 18, 2010.

1. LosOsosS

LosOsosS New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Los Osos, CA...near San Luis Obispo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,

I am tormented with all the wheel choices for my (...I mean my wife's) R53. I can think of a baker's dozen I would like to have, but I just can't be one of those wheel sluts. Recently I have been thinking about some Team Dynamic 1.2 in 16". But I still haven't gotten over the pictures of Nathan's experience.

What is the current opinion on their strength and quality. Thanks for your time!
    -Flint

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I suggest that you call Aaron at Outmotoring and get his opinion. He's owned several sets and has sold them since he started his company about 6 years ago. He would shoot you straight about any issues he's seen.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I had a set, and I loved them. Had to sell them because they didn't clear my brakes. It's a very nice looking rim.

As for Nathan's issues, those were 17's, and that was on the track--not your usual stress.

I still have the TD 1.1's (they do clear my brakes), and haven't had any issues with them. The Miata guys run TD's all the time on the track--I think (or hope) Nate's experience is the exception.

4. amberback

amberback Club Coordinator

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I also thought that Nathan's were the earlier version of these wheels (1.1?) and not the 1.2s?

I'm looking at getting these wheels as well, 16s in white.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'll chime in here...

I bought my TD's used, who knows how many track days they had on them and how they were treated before I purchased them. Yes, I did have a catastrophic failure of one and I know of at least one more person tracking a MINI often that had a spoke crack but without the spectacular events I had.

Would I buy another set, yes, but for the street only where the wheel is not subjected to the same constant forces that one finds on the track.

That said when TD replaced my wheel they had to scour the country to find one of the same generation I had. This leads me to believe they have redesigned the wheel in some manner.

There are 1000's of these wheels running around every day without issue. When one mass produces an item there are always a few that fail. I think I was just lucky and found one of these failure prone wheels.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I think I was just lucky and found one of these failure prone wheels.

That kind of luck I can do without !

Have you considered the Konig Feathers?

7. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Agreed - NOT for Track Duty!

My TD1s were bought new at the end of '07 and failed after 3 years of about one track weekend a month.

8. LosOsosS

LosOsosS New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Los Osos, CA...near San Luis Obispo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all for the input!

So maybe the common theme here is no to track, yes to street. I too had Miata's before switching over to the MINI and yes there are a bunch of TD wheels being run on the Miata's. As for the Konig Feathers, I had been considering them, but was just hoping to find something that would be stronger.

In my simple thoughts, I had decided that if an 8 spoke wheel (think Konigs) would work, then the 12 spoke TD's would be better (along with having seen so many Miata's on them). Then I caught the Gnat's experience and somewhere mention of another owner having a crack issue...and then began to reconsider.

Thank you Nathan for the reminder of the low statistical failure. That is a good reminder for other bits too.