Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Team Dynamics PR1

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by M^Cubed, May 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    #1 M^Cubed, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
    *UPDATE - FIXED* Team Dynamics PR1

I have a curious question for TD PR1 owners or aficionados.

Is the offset stamped into the wheel? I have the size and IIRC the weight cast into the wheel, but there seems to be some numbers stamped in also. They are hard to read on two, but one looks like the correct offset number while the other looks like a number that is not the offset that I purchased - this concerns me - this set of wheels is quite a bit twitchier on the road than my other two sets and also seems to pull to the right. They all look identical from a visual standpoint, but I have nothing to measure them with.

Cheers

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    You can measure the offset.

Lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel.

3. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
  4. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I drove the car another day on these wheels and they are like a different animal from my LM's.

They were recently balanced - they would have caught that they might be bent during that process?

What I mean by "a different animal" is that they are a complete handful to keep the car going straight under acceleration. They use identical tires as my other set, but these just want to go all over when you accelerate. I know Camaro has driven it and thought the same thing.

Can the light weight be causing this or is something wrong with them? (mis-matched size and or offset?)

Partial throttle for passing causes the car to pull hard right and when you lift off throttle it "snaps" back straight. It sounds like a suspension problem, but it only happens with these wheels - which are the lightest and shortest I have.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Rotate them around and see if the problem moves.

Also, are these new tires?

6. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    They are not new tires - they have over 5K on them I believe, great tread still though and even wear. I am going to rotate them because this is dangerous right now.

7. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Alright - fronts swapped Left to Right.

The car is still acting the same - the steering wheel goes left and the car goes right.

8. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Could be ball joints or a bad hub.

9. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The only other thing I can think of is that I power washed the underside of the car. I spray a good amount of excess lubricant off of the FCAB's. I wouldn't think the outside would affect it.

I'm going to toss back on the other wheels and see if that changes anything.

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    You might check to see if the entire power steering assembly is loose and or moving sideways in the rubber bushing mounts that attach to the front frame member? It sure doesn't sound like a safe situation.

11. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Alright - I will check that too

12. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Well, it turns out the issue was the two M12X1,5X60 bolts that attach the ball joint to the subframe had backed out enough to give me some cool dynamic steering.

Everything was snugged back up and the car feels nice and solid again!

Thanks to everyone who helped