Testing waters for my 2010 MINI S...

Discussion in 'Classic Mini, MINI and other Cars for Sale' started by Redbeard, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    #1 Redbeard, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    Hey All. Wife and I had a conversation a while back about selling the MINI. I've been enjoying it while I can. One thing we talked about was wanting it to goto a "good home" i.e. another enthusiast instead of the 18 yo girl who thinks its "cute".

So, that being said I am looking for interest and feedback on the car and pricing. I don't have a ton of pics to post in here but if you look at my garage you'll know what it looks like inside and out. If there is something I didn't go over here and you want more detail please feel free to ask.

Here are the stats:

- 2010 MINI Cooper S Hatch (Nov 2009 Build)
    - Manual (6-sp) - Clutch/pressure plate/flywheel/throw-out bearing replaced by dealer at 34k miles. No issues since.
    - Factory Mechanical LSD.
    - Sport Suspension
    - Sport Package (clear turn signals, DSC/DTC, HID Headlights, steering wheel radio controls)
    - Conveniece Pakage (Bluetooth, USB/iPod, Sirius/XM Radio, Automatic wipers, keyless doors and ignition)
    - Factory black Crownspoke wheels with 400 treadwear NON-runflat all-seasons.
    - Factory black body/roof

Condition:

-70,150'ish miles
    -Small rock-chips across the whole front-end.
    -Minor curb rash on one wheel.
    -Rock chips (very small) accross windshield.
    -Rock chips (2 major) safe-lite'd.
    -Stock muffler replaced with a small Flowmaster for happy sounds.
    -Brakes stock at 50%.
    -Interior is in VERY good shape. Clean and not torn-up.
    -Engine is strong and has been maintained (oil changes and service) regularly at a MINI dealer at all times.
    -Brake fluid RBF 660.
    -Transmission fluid: Redline.
    -Intake clean done by MINI at 58k miles.
    -I have my Scan Gauge rig (pics in my garage) that I'll throw-in with the car or i can sell it to another enthusiast.

I'm gonna set a guestimate at $15,000. It's around what the car sites are saying it's worth. Anyone interested? Want more info? Post up. I appreciate the input.

By Popular Demand... Pictures!

General Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Driver's Stack & Mileage (Scangauge II & mount easily and cleanly removable):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine:
    [​IMG]

Manual and original iPod Adapter (unopened):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheel with Curb Rash:
    [​IMG]

Safe-lite Repaired Windshield Crack:
    [​IMG]

Ding in driver's side rear quarter panel:
    [​IMG]

Wear on Driver's seat outside bolster:
    [​IMG]

Example of rock-chips on paint:
    [​IMG]

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I'd say buy a new windshield before you sell...maybe touch up the chips...

I think you are pretty fair at 15.

I typically consult Edmunds for pricing since it seems very real-world. It shows trade in at a smidge over 15. Private sale at just over 16, and dealer retail at over 18K, which makes a lot of sense IMO.

Fix any glairing cosmetic issues for a few hundo, and you may make a couple thousand!

3. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Why are you getting rid of the MINI?

Good luck with the sale.

4. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the feed back.:Thumbsup: Here is a bit more detail on the cosmetic issues.

Two major chips/cracks have been treated by Safelite. The rest are TINY (1/64th of an inch). Winshield replacement is $800 for the windshield alone. No installation.

It has easily has 100+ tiny (1/32nd to 1/16th of an inch) chips in the front. I'm not paying to re-spray the whole front ($1,500-2,000 to get it done right).

While I agree spending a "few hundo" as you put it would be smart I'm gonna have to spend a few grand to get it back to a "shiny" status. Unfortunately, not worth it. :(

Upcoming family (not pregnant, yet...:fingerscrossed:). My wife is absolutely convinced that a MINI is not adequate for a baby. Her criteria are: Room for baby-seat (including baby), stroller, second passenger, full load of groceries, all at the same time. :eek6:

I always thought if I went to another car after the MINI it would be a Mustang but that doesn't pass her test either. :cryin:

Right now the front runner is a Focus ST. We'll see.

5. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I had a Focus in a former life.... do they really have more room than a MINI? I was waiting to hear you say "Minivan" or something like that :lol:

Regardless, good luck!

6. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    No Minivans. Not happening. EVER. :thumbdown: Hot hatch or sports sedan. :cool:

The new generation Focus is VERY different from the ones of yore. The ST is a much more... Spirited version. :D (Why it's being considered). Have a look for yourself: http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/focusst/

The space and specs for the front seats on the MINI vs the Focus are very close. However, go to the back and measurements are drastically different:

Cargo Area (space behind the back seats)
    Mini: 5.7 cu-ft
    Focus: 44.8 cu-ft

Rear leg room
    Mini: 27.9 in
    Focus: 33.4 in

Rear shoulder room
    Mini: 44.7 in
    Focus: 52.6

Passenger space (space behind the front seats before the cargo area)
    Mini: 76 cu-ft
    Focus: 90.7 cu-ft

7. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    800 for a windshield??!!!!

dude you shouilda stayed in California, that glass is 275 installed at Motoring Magic. you must be quoting the MINI oem price at the dealer, for an inferior made in china pos w/s. A PPG does not hold up a bit better but it sure does treat your wallet more kindly.
    Sorry to see you sell, have you copnsidered a Countryman ALL4 S? I have driven several and while I find the nose butt ugly, I couldn't see it from behind the wheel and the driving experience was all MINI! If you need more stufff than you could fit in a countryman, you need less stuff!

8. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Lol! For access to you and your shop Scott staying in Cali would have been good. For life in general? I'm liking Texas much more.

I know you could get a better price but since I have the auto-wipers I have more expensive windshield.

I actually got a Countryman S as a loaner. I was surprised how much it felt like my R56 in daily driving. As soon as I started to push it a bit I found that it wasn't. I'm not a fan of the overall styling either. It was a consideration but it's just not up to what I want. To quote you after you saw my OEM brakes and rotors come off, "Man, you're hard on s**t!" :D I want a car I can still autocross in and have the occasional track day. :cool:

9. Zipy

Zipy New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Retired three years ago(2010)
    East coast of South Florida
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2011 Countryman S; which handles great for everyday driving and tours through the back roads at speed. I know you said that it's not up to what you want it to do. So, order a base Countryman S, with a couple of necessities like adaptable zenons and HK sound for normal everyday. With the left over cash redo the entire suspension, springs, shocks,sway bars and exhaust. You'll have the add'l room you need and a Mini fully capable of autocross and your occasional track day.:idea:
    I kinda get the feeling you've already made up your mind and it's "bye-bye Mini. But, you can't blame us for trying to keep you from saying later "I shoulda...":wink::)

10. blue2turbo

blue2turbo New Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Norfolk, VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had gone through the process of considering parting with my 06 R53 for a new car as well, but decided to hold off on any car decisions until I get my promotion in Nov, but the Focus ST is an awesome car and I definitely understand why it would be a front runner. For those who haven't seen/sat in/driven a Focus ST, it's definitely far different than any other focus. I had never considered getting a Ford until I looked into that car. The one and only thing I have to say about the car that is a negative, is that it's still a focus, and it's still tagged with a 27k+ price tag... but the MyFord touch system is extremely awesome! Also, not sure what your budget it, but definitely get the Recaro's, man those seats are awesome and comfortable!

Good luck with your decision!

11. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate the replies on my potential replacement vehicle but trying to steer this thread back on topic I am looking for feedback on selling my MINI.

In particular:

Is there any info I missed you would like to know/see?

Are you interested in buying it? If so, what would make or break the deal for you? This isn't a commitment to buy anything. Answers like: "I'd buy it if it wasn't so far away in Texas," or "I'd jump on it if it was $14k," are perfectly acceptable.

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It's a good deal it just sucks that its so far away and a 2nd Gen. :lol::devil:

Good luck with the sale and have lots of fun "making" your family.:Thumbsup:

13. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Bump for feedback. :cool:

14. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: The list is comprehensive and looks good. The price is certainly reasonable. Some people may be ignorant of 'Garages' so you might just post a photo or 2. I'm very sorry to see you sell your MINI but under the circumstances I completely understand. You're one of the knowledgable 'Good Guys.' Good Luck in your endeavors.

Jason

15. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Jason, list is comprehensive! I have three MInis in the family as it is so not looking for a fourth. Pricing seems good. Post a few pics in this thread inside and out. Good luck with the sale. Thanks for answering the questions I ahve pm'd you. Hope ya hang out here regardless if ya have a MINI or not.

16. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Pics are a good call. It's dirty right now. I gotta get it washed and post up some pics.

I'll be around for a while yet. Window for sale is April-June'ish. Depends on certain events.

Thanks for the input. :):thumbup:

17. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Have you driven the Focus ST yet?

18. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    PICS ADDED!!! :Thumbsup: Please have a look and let me know what you think.

I have now. Plus I have autocross data too.

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Your pictures look good. They should help you sell your MINI.

Good luck :Thumbsup:

20. Nelzie

Nelzie New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I bought my 2008 MINI Clubman when our daughter was 3 months old, actually it was on order just around the time she was born, but delays happened in shipping...

Anyway, I agree with your wife that the MINI Cooper Hardtop isn't the best for a new baby, the Clubman can work. Unless you plan on having another baby... but, there's always roof racks and snail shells for carrying around a stroller and other accoutrements...