The Autoextremist Brand Image Meter

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by Nathan, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I read this site weekly, have been for like evar.

While Peter M. De Lorenzo is very opinionated his opinions somehow fall in line with mine for the most part. He's also a low more well versed in the Auto Industry than I am.

Anyway, he put together this Brand Image Meter.

So...how does MINI fare?

Click Me for the full Rant

2. Grgramps

Grgramps New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    "... due to a product mistake."

I don't get it. Can someone fill me in?

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I think what is inferred is.....
    MINI is a very hot commodity. They continue to push the design envelope. If the designers make a bad design MINI could wreck and end up in the weeds.....
    That's my take on the description.

Figuratively speaking that is.....

4. Grgramps

Grgramps New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Metalman - I was wondering if he was referring to a mistake that had already been made. Although I don't care for the roofline on the coupe, many are buying them, so I don't see that as a mistake.

But when you're near the top of the heap, gravity is waiting to pull you down.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The 2013 version of the Autoextremist Brand Meter is now out. Not much of a change for MINI.

For the Brand Meter for all marques see The Autoextremist Brand Image Meter II. - Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

6. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I read The Autoextremist regularly too. THought I don't always agree with Peter's rantings, I have great respect for his point of view and his willingness to discuss. He has answered emails I have made to him regarding some of his writings and I have found some of my ideas we have discussed find their way into his writings with his own opinion of said topic. For that, he has gained my respect and continued readership.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Look at a 1st Gen and a 2nd Gen and you can clearly see the design / product mistakes inside and out.

That's no joke, it's the truth and is also the reason my people prefer 1st Gens and have traded 2nd gens for 1st Gens.

The current Mini offerings are just cookie cuter versions of the same car.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Oh have a can of worms been opened! :popcorn:

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol: Yeah, DaveO is on his R53 uber Alles soap box again.:lol::lol:

Jason

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Well it's hard to be humble when you own a R53, but we try. :cornut:

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #11 Dave.0, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    Yup we are the early supporters and buyers, not people that jumped on the bandwagon because the MINI was the new hip or the "in" thing to drive.

12. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
    :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That's a whole lotta horse whippin there Jason.....

:postcount

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That's whipping out all the horse power you can. :D:biggrin5:

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The whole 1st Gen vs the world thing has taken on a life of it's own. Hope it's all in fun as there are many worthy MINIs out there in all generations.

17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Given that this is the 2013 version of the Brand Meter, it's highly unlikely that the reference is to a seven-years-old Gen 1 /Gen 2 "thing." More likely the foray from the various hardtop iterations into the very un-MINI like R60 world.

Could the Paceman end up being the first clear vestige of "the mistake?" Gadzooks, look at the May sales figures. :frown2:

18. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    As with any car model, as the years pass there is always "preferred years" to own... Seems as of now that is the last couple of years of 1st Gen cars... Granted that could change down the rode depending on how "good" the next Gen model MINI is, and the next etc etc...

19. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0

The Paceman could have really been a hit and I guess might still can be, but since there already is the Clubman and Countryman, what is their selling point? Small Sporty SUV. That is what the Countryman was supposed to be!! Granted I'd still like to see an All4 Paceman set up for the track to see how it does.. Lowered, suspension work done etc.. Does the added weight hurt more then the All4 can make up..

20. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    #20 Motoring Magic, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    lots of interesting things here in this thread...

I am in complete agreement with the articles opinions about MINI heading for a wreck, but for even more obvious reasons. While I find the countryman styling horrendous, the Paceman brought it together some for me, although the front headlights/grille are still terrible. The need to have a car for evey niche is strong at MINI, and thier sales record show some support for this approach, even if they are ugly, the buying public has voted with thier collective wallets-but-as stated in the article it is a fine line they are walking. The other obvious detraction (to us enthusiasts at least) is the poor quality of engines seen in the second gen. NOW they are thinking about (according to the MF article) a second run of recall for the timing chain tensioners. SO WHAT-what about using a quart of oil every 700 miles? I have DOZENS of customers who cannot motor 1000 miles without 1.25 qts of oil. MINI says this is normal. BS. What about a thermostat assembly so poorly designed that EVERY ONE EVER BUILT fails in the same exact spot every 40-50k? what about a water pump that wont make it 40k? (the water pump issue is caused by the drive pos, with a serpentine belt on them they would be fine imho)

R56 disclaimer here: Now I know all 20 of you R56 owners who have not yet had a water pump or thermostat failure will jump in here-save it-and don't jinx yourself. If you haven't had a failed t stat or water pump, and made it 60k, it will be soon and you are in the minority.

OTOH-I have had the pleasure of motoring in a 2012 JCW we will have for sale shortly for the past week-there is no test drive that is the same as using one as your own.
    I find the shifter operation, brakes, overall TORQUE of this version of the Peugot engine fantastic. This car is silky smooth to drive around in, and once the runflats come off today, it will be genuinely nice to drive on the freeways.
    I still hate the huge speedometer and general layout of the radio, (I do not think the mirror switch needed to become "mainstream" on the door although it is easy enough to use, so is the one in my car on the floor.) I also don't think the Radio layout is even plausible as a user friendly device. This thing requires an adhd 12 year old to figure out how to use it. The learning curve of the music/usb/phone stuff in the newer cars is steep.
    Most who know me know I have a Chili Red R53 with a distinctinve black stripe down its center that I havemotored 105,000 miles in so far, and love it and never see not having it in my life as long as I am capable of driving. HOWEVER I can see a lot of little things, some mentioned above, that the 2nd gen cars improved vastly on. MINI captured a legion of buyers with the R56 who would not buy an R53 due to harsh ride, overall feel and appearance. I love my R53 but I like the R56 platform for alot of reasons and this JCW I am driving/selling is a great car.