The Book Club.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by goaljnky, Dec 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I am an avid reader, although I have been lax in that pursuit as of late. Hopping someone can recommend a book. My tastes run to thrillers (think Tom Clancy), sci-fi (Frank Herbert) and action (Dan Brown. Da Vinci Code was good, but I thought Angels and Demons was telephoned in).

Of course I have read the classics (I read the entire War and Peace in the bathroom over a period of about a year. I am saving that tidbit for my Jeopardy appearance), but these days I prefer something lighter.

Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Lately, I've beed doing non-fiction...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Fates-Societies/dp/0393061310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262113856&sr=1-1"]Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies [/ame]by Jared Diamond is one of the best books I've ever read. It is the most complete synthesis of how forces come into play in the development of societies. A real eye opener. His book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Societies-Choose-Fail-Succeed/dp/0143036556/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b"]Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed [/ame]about how once strong societies fall is a real eye opener as well. And somewhat depressing. I really wish everyone on the planet would read these two books. I think we'd all contribute to better societal decision making if we try to learn the lessons that history has to teach us that these books present.

To learn about what a cess-pool the US product market has become, and the loss of international econonic power that has accompanied the decline in product content regulation (a very interesting link I'd never even considered), read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Exposed-Chemistry-Everyday-Products-American/dp/1933392150"]Exposed: The Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Products and What's at Stake for American Power [/ame]by Marc Shapiro.

Right now, I'm reading [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Denialism-Irrational-Thinking-Scientific-Threatens/dp/1594202303/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262113714&sr=1-1"]Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Hinders Scientific Progress, Harms the Planet, and Threatens Our Lives [/ame]by Michael Specter. It could be better written, but it is a very interesting look at how public opinion has morphed and why data driven policy positions are becomming more and more rare. A real peril for us as a society.

Anyway, I recieved a Kindel for Christmas (from my Jewish dad!) and it's pretty cool! I've downloaded some of the classics (Sherlock Holmes and The Art of War) for free, so that's nice, but I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through Denialism, so those two are waiting...

Matt

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #3 goaljnky, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    Can't bring myself to get an E-Reader. I just like the tactile feel of a book too much.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Me too......I can't see myself ever getting one. Love the books way too much, as my wife and bookcases can attest to.....:D

Have you tried the Fire and Ice series by Martin?

Or the Tales of Thomas Covenant by Donaldson?

How about the Wheel of Time series by Jordan?

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    How about a little synopsis?

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I found Wheel of Time to be dull and monotonous by the 4th or 5th book. I felt I was slogging through it on a death march. Put it down and never revisited.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Most of the book I read these day have " How-to" in the title.

Mark

8. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    The two Jared Diamond books are great. I haven't read the the other two---they sound great. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am currently reading "Lincoln on Leadership." It is a short book. Lot's of good tips on how Lincoln's leadership style is still applicable today.

For those ultra-rational people, the "God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins is quite satisfying.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I do agree with you Nathan as it is a bit tedious, but for me it was easy to immerse myself in it.

GJ, does this internets thingy have a search feature? ....:D

Covenant.....[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Thomas-Covenant-Unbeliever/dp/0006473296/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262122620&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (9780006473299): Stephen Donaldson: Books[/ame]

A Song of Ice and Fire....[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Song-Fire-Book/dp/0553381687/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262123072&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) (9780553381689): George R.R. Martin: Books[/ame]

Wheel of Time........[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-Wheel-Time-Book/dp/0812511816/ref=pd_ts_b_3?ie=UTF8&s=books]Amazon.com: The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) (9780812511819): Robert Jordan: Books[/ame]

Best I could do as I am a lousy reviewer. These are just a few of the books/series I can read over and over again.

10. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    If I use search you'll have no one to talk to. :cornut:

11. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein

Not a how to, rather a good fictional story as told from his dog's point of view. Well written and an easy read, with lots of litttle philosophical tidbits thrown in here and there....."Where the eyes go the car follows"

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :prrr:

13. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I tend to read stuff of substance. Like astronomy textbooks, books about quantum physics theories, books on Jeet Kune Do and Bruce Lee, space exploration history books, manga, etc...

14. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    For you outdoors type folks, "Touching the Void" is a must-read. Survivial story of a couple of Brits scaling a snow-capped peak in South America. If it were a Hollywood movie, you would say 'no way that happened.'

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Touching-Void-Story-Miraculous-Survival/dp/0060730552]Amazon.com: Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival (9780060730550): Joe Simpson: Books[/ame]

15. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've heard good things

about the Art of Racing in the Rain as well, but haven't read it yet.

some comments on the Kindle.... I don't think it's perfect, but if you're going to want to take more than one book with you, it starts to work really really well. There are some problems with the business model that I don't like, specifically you can't transfer the rights to a purchased eBook to someone else after you've finished it, so there's no "passing a book on".

My Dad and sister both have one, and it doesn't replace all reading of paper books. But I gotta say that when I was in a line of about 200 people to pay off a fix it ticked a few days ago, having the Kindle was easier than holding the hardback that I would have had to bring with me to read the same book.

Anyway, I like it. It won't replace paper, but will augment my reading.

Also, for fiction, I've found collections very satisfying. For Sci-Fi there are lots of "best of the year" collections, and if you find an author that really does it for you, you can dig up more. I also like fiction short story collections as well.

And if you want an occational dose that's a mixture of a lot of stuff, try the litarary mag "Granta". It comes out 4 or 6 times a year, and is quite the mix of a bit of everything.

Matt

16. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Got to book 5 or 6 in the Wheel of time. Enjoyed it but other interest got in the way and I have attempted to pick the series back up again. I didn't feel as though I was slogging, more so the realization that it was going to take me awhile to see the conclusion of all the many plot lines.

17. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Couple authors I have been turned onto lately

William Lasher "Past Due" - loser lawyer/detective in philly, great writing

James Rollins "Map of Bones" _ Dan Brown school

Nelson DeMille - just about any one of them, fav is "Up Country"

Robert Crais "LA Requiem" Private Eyes in LA

Ted Bell "Pirate" sort of a James Bond for the turn of the century without all the puns

Steve Berry- has three books I've read, all excellent. He took the Dan Brown histo/religeous thriller genre and made it his own

**** Francis - has 23 mystery books going back to the early 60's. All are gems. Great writing, Great characters, all have something to do with British horse racing. Despite my general disintrest in the sport of queens I consider them like a great pair of broken in jeans and a flannel shirt. Brilliant stuff (Nate must have the filters set in high for foul language, first name is "ick" with a "D" in front)