The Homestretch on MTTS 2012

Discussion in 'MINI Takes The States (July 4-15, 2012)' started by packimocity, Jul 23, 2012.

1. packimocity

packimocity New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Education
    NE PA
    Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    hello all:

Just returned late last night from MTTS 2012 and the Northern itinerary home...

As luck would have it...

My wife (nav mostly) and two backseat dogs drove
    twenty states
    8000+ miles
    19 days, three time zones

It was an epic trip with epic photos I am uploading to my Flickr account

However, why is it always....?
    Fifty miles from my driveway in NE PA, and traveling the ONLY truly Nightmare Highway that we encountered across this vast nation...
    I-80 in PA...a mammoth blown tire from a semi kicked off right in front of me, crashed into my front end and did some unkind damage to grill, bumper, left lights, and possible undercarriage/exhaust to check when I get it on a lift

The picture perfect photos all along the trip are a wonderful memory but until our R53 is back up, I am seething with anger at this state I live in for its shoddy road maintenance, and the inability to keep the highways from the overload of dangerous truck traffic in both lanes of this hilly interstate highway

Just ranting a bit, and almost a perfect unscathed trip...
    packimocity

2. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I am so sorry that such a great trip had this ending.
    Fortunately, everyone is unharmed.
    I hope your R53 is soon repaired and you are motoring again.

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully you get it up and running soon. Glad you had a great trip!

4. LegoMINI

LegoMINI New Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So sorry to hear this. We have similar issues with I-20 in Georgia/Alabama. Glad you are okay and had a great trip otherwise.

5. Black n Blue

Black n Blue New Member

May 2, 2012
    Project Manager in Tradeshow Marketing
    Auburn, GA
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    We have family in Berwick, PA and have been on this road several times. I can understand your frustration. Sorry you had a bad close out to your trip. Hopefully looking through the pictures it will make it all worth while in the end.

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear about the R53. Not only the roads but they should not allow the trucks to run retreads!

Many years ago in land far far.... Wait wrong story, many years ago I was on Rt80 in Jersey in my TR6 with the top down when one blew out just as I passed! That thing would have taken my head off!

Glad your ok and hopefully back up and running soon!

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    It is not the retreads, but the drivers who do not check their tires. Running on a flat will cause the tire to let go with sometimes tragic consequences.

packimocity- Hope you get that R53 up & running soon. Glad you are OK.

8. j3kidford

j3kidford Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Pharmacist
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I feel your pain! The same thing happened to me in New Mexico on the way home to Florida. Knocked off my whole lower front bumper and shoved the AC condenser into the radiator. I managed to limp most of the way home after being patched up by the great techs at MINI of Dallas, but had to leave her at MINI of Pensacola when she started making a bad noise. But 2 weeks later I went back out and picked her up and she's good as new now.