The MINI Wave

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Oliv3r, Oct 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Oliv3r

Oliv3r New Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    When I was test driving my mini last week the dealer said he had a mini and to be prepared for other mini owners waving at you as they drive by. Kind of like the motorcyclist peace sign they give each other. Well I've passed several mini owners since then and not a single wave from any of them. Is there even such a thing as the mini wave?

2. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    There is a MINI wave.
    Some enthusiasts wave, while others who bought the car for "good gas mileage" do not get or do the wave.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Yes, there is a wave. It's getting harder to catch year by year but it's there. It's part of the social side of this car and I think little by little the percentage of people who buy it because they just want a car is growing and catching up with those of us who like it because it's quirky and fun and enjoy the community. My guess is the "it's just a car" crowd probably don't want to be associated with the crazy rest of us and are more likely to shake their head and roll their eyes if someone in another car waves at them.

I think the wave is contagious, just like when I'm walking around my neighborhood. Used to be I waved first and my neighbors seemed surprised and took a second to even think to respond. Now my neighbors are as likely to wave at me first. I say wave at other MINI drivers, if they don't wave back either they missed it or they just don't get it. Keep waving anyway. If it doesn't pick up where you and your MINI roam, at least you tried. :Thumbsup:

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: The more that we wave and the more ostentatious the wave( ie. both hands through the roof hole if one can safely do it), the more likely one is to see the other driver smile and wave back.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #5 Metalman, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    On the return trip yesterday from the Mothman run, We passed a red MINI and the driver waved at us guys...... And the driver was a gurl..... Soooo nice to get one back....:D

I kept expecting Nathan to do a "U" turn, chase her down, and hand her a "Nice MINI" card.....

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm not quite that aggressive.

I did meet a group of ladies outside the Mothman Museum that were eyeing up Dark Helmet. One of them is from Marysville and owns a Countyman. She got a card.

The wave is not as prevalent as it once was now that MINIs are more mainstream, but don't give up. Keep waving, people do wave back now and then.

7. Oliv3r

Oliv3r New Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Did you wave first.? I feel weird being the one waving...lol

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I tend to always wave first..... Keep in mind, you may never see them again so there is no justification for you feeling weird.....

You want weird....
    It's when I do a "U" turn and chase them down and yell at them.... WHY U NO WAVE.... The look on their face.... Now that's weird....:D

[​IMG]

9. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I admit I do not wave first.
    BUT if you wave to me I wave back :Thumbsup:

10. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I wave first as I don't get waves other wise.:Thumbsup:

Jason

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I wave, then smile and wink at them if I can make eye contact, that really throws the non-wavers...:wink:

12. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I always wave. Politically incorrect as it may be, they always get at least one finger. :lol:

13. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    I think it has already been said, but.......there are a whole NEW group of MINI owners, who have come to the brand for the gas mileage, and the " CUTE" factor. They might not know about the wave. To some of these NEW MINI owners it is just a car, They might not be fully aware that to some of us this is a lifestyle, not just a car.

14. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    LOL- you're not kidding :ihih::cornut:

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    JAC MINI owner's

Yep many new MINI owners see MINIs as Just A Car. Sad but true.:frown2: I wave at all of them & rarely get a wave, more often odd look. It's fun to see the dumbfounded look on the JAC owner's faces. :confused5: :D

16. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes I don't think they see me, as I often don't see them until the last moment. Not sure about the JAC part. My wife has always felt that a car was just a car, until she got the CMS. It has changed her all on its own. I have met MINI owners who are not as caught up in the MINI movement as we are here, but never one that did not love the car.

Jim

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Jim you have indoctrinated your wife. She saw your unbridled enthusiasm & couldn't help but drink that Kool-aide once she got her own. :Thumbsup:

18. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I wave.

I wave first, hoping for a wave, and with some hope that non-wavers will see enough of us wave to think..."that's the 2nd or 3rd MINI driver who's waved. Is there a cult of MINI waving? Must be..." and then start waving back next time.

I'm currently at 2 for 25 or so, so sort of a slump by most standards. Hard to predict, too. Shiny Chili Red convertible, top down, sunny day, dapper young-ish male driver with photogenic passenger: no wave. Road-grimey R50 piloted by middle-aged woman: enthusiastic wave.

We do better with the Corvette crowd, 8 of 10 or so return waves (of any kind, you have to factor in too-cool-to-wave hand-salute movements or slight head nods).

About 9 of 10 on the motorcycles too, other than H-Ds (my experience being they rarely return waves to non- H-D riders, and I've sorta stopped trying).

19. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Nope, that is not true at all. She gave me a hard time about all the baths, parking in faraway spaces and driving too fast. She did her research and found the CMS to be the best buy (fuel and money wise). She was never completely sold on a MINI prior to the purchase. I said NOTHING after she bought it. She developed all my traits, all on her own. The car did that, not me or Kool-Aid. It was actually very amazing.

Jim

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Jim your enthusiasm is infectious. Don't understand how she ended up with a turbo though? :smilewinkgrin:

Babs when from a turbo to a justa, go figure? :wink: