The most cross-shopped car against the MINI is the...

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nathan, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    MINI USA boss Jim McDowell sat down with AutoGuide at the Chicago Auto Show to talk about what might just be the most carefree car brand out there, complete with its own lexicon that includes things like bootgating.

Much of the conversation dealt with the upcoming Coupe and Roadster models, but first McDowell shared with us a revelation. The most cross-shopped car with the dynamic MINI Cooper is a vehicle that’s most certainly not known for being fun. In fact, it could be described as the exact opposite. That car is the Toyota Prius.

The reason, says McDowell, is due to the way both cars appeal to a certain buyer, with a distinctive look that says something about the driver.

Fuel economy is a top priority for these consumers, and McDowell is eager to point out the Cooper’s impressive 37 mpg highway rating. While hardly close to the 48-mpg rating of the Prius on the highway, that number is up one tick from 2010 thanks to some added efficiencies rolled-out in a mid-cycle update for this year. In the end, he says, those who really want to make that big environmental statement choose the Prius and those who value driving dynamics more highly pick the MINI.

On the topic of the Roadster, we asked McDowell to elaborate on comments he made the last time we spoke, about the car as a serious rival to the MX5. While FWD, McDowell touts the cars neutral characteristics and says it “will deliver such a fun driving experience that I wouldn’t shy away from a rear wheel drive comparison.â€

He also expects to scoop up buyers due to the car’s functionality, and insists it will be a true MINI in the sense of delivering a solid amount of interior space in a very small package. He even went so far as to say there will be enough room for a couple to pack enough to drive across the country.

As for the Coupe, McDowell did say he expects it to be perceived as the brand’s top performance model, but stopped short of saying if it would out-perform the current John Cooper Works Cooper hatch.

As for the next-gen Cooper hatchback, McDowell did little to quell rumors of a dual-clutch automatic transmission being added to the lineup, indicating that as a brand highly-focused on both driving fun and fuel efficiency, any technology that can fulfill these requirements is under consideration.

Source - Autoguide

2. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Nathan any news on a possible mini Mini? I have read in a couple British car magazines that BMW might add a smaller car to the lineup. They also said the next generation Mini would be a 3 cylinder car and the BMW's on the same platform would get the 4 cylinder engines, any info or thoughts on that?

3. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The Prius does make sense to me, though I wouldn't have guessed it. Since something like 65% of MINIs sold have automatic transmissions there definitely seem to be more style-conscious MINI buyers than outright enthusiasts. While the Prius isn't especially stylish, it stands apart from anything else in the low-$20,000 range; as does the MINI, just in a different way. Plus, I imagine many enthusiasts just want a MINI and don't shop it against anything.

4. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I think Vinnie Kung said it's now 71% of MINIs are automatic. It's depressing to think that the Prius is the most cross-shopped car, since thats about as fun as a refrigerator, but I guess it's not incredibly surprising like bee said since the MINI is one of the most fuel efficient vehicles and it isn't painfully bland. Hopefully the MINI doesn't just become a "look at me, I'm so much greener than you" car, though, like the Prius.

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    MotoringFile regularly covers developments on both of those topics:
    http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/01/25/bmw-begins-its-march-towards-the-isetta-with-series-documentaries
    http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/06/09/details-emerge-on-bmw-minis-3-cylinder-powerplant/

6. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Prius?!?!?!? :prrr:

I can just barely type it whilst holding back the gagging reflex. I doubt very seriously if i could ever SAY the word.

Prius?!?!? Bah!!

"Distinctive"?

I say distinctively boring.

Wow.

I think I'm going to go out and sit in the MINI for a bit. This kind of stuff takes a toll, you know.

Excuse me..........

7. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    A Prius might be boring to drive as an enthusiast, but you have to admit its styling and hybrid drivetrain make it distinct among the other $20,000 cars. Its interior and packaging are unique, too. It wouldn't be fun like a Mini, but it's a clever, creative package in its own right.