Thermostat?? or Water Pump?? Help

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by docjyll, Jan 21, 2013.

1. docjyll

docjyll New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all..new to this so excuse if I mess this up. I just got a Mini Clubman 2008. Not s, Not turbo, just the regular. I adore it! However the theromstat light comes on in orange, then turns red, then my heat comes on. I'm assuming my thermostat is not opening, and until it decides to I have no heat. Any other issues I can troubleshoot first? Is it diffucult to replace? Should I do water pump, thermo housing too just because? Thanks for any advise!! It's got 96,000 miles on it and it runs beautifully.

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #2 Jason Montague, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    :cornut:Get under the car(jack stands or a lift) and check the water pump bearing portal for rust and leakage which will tell you whether the water pump is okay or going out. Do you have a way of checking engine codes? If the 'thermostat light' is coming on, then it is throwing a code and looking up the code in our library will give you the information that you need. If you don't have a way of reading the code, Autozone sometimes assists customers with this. Buying a 'ScanGauge II' from one of our supporting 'Sponsors' above will allow you to read and cancil all codes and give you a choice of 4 real time gauges that you don't have now. OOPS I forgot the basics. With the engine cold, is the overflow tank at the correct level? Are there any coolant puddles under the car. Are all of the coolant hoses soft and not cracking? When the yellow light goes to red, turn the engine off imediately!

I hope that this helps.:Thumbsup:

Jason

WELCOME to MA.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: BUMP! BUMP! There are much smarter people than me around here.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Your clubbie is LOW ON COOLANT!! whether it is a water pump leak, a thermostat leak or something else that combination of issues screams low on coolant. It is not as easy as adding, it needs to be bled so the air can get out of the system, might be a how to in the library on here.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

Sorry I can not be of any help with the 2nd Gens.

6. AnsonIvan

AnsonIvan Local Shop Owner

Sep 25, 2012
    MINI/BMW mechanic
    Columbus OH
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    +1 for likely low on coolant. The thermostat assembly and water pump are both very common failure items on the second gen cars. Hasten thee to a qualified dealer or mini specific indy shop to have it checked out, having it towed would be a good idea.

7. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Not that I'm liking that you are having overheating issues...but both the thermostat and water pump are problems on the second gen...Check em both..but plan on changing both if not now, soon....best of luck ..and ................Welcome to the coolest MINI forum on the net! :cool:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA. Cant help much I'm a R53 guy but Jason and Motoring Magic are correct.
    Let us know if you find the problem.

Jason you don't have to state the obvious :biggrin5:

10. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Changed my thermostat last summer and just got my water pump changed. The aux water pump could also be a problem. There is a recall on it. Even after getting the recall done I've had to go back and get it changed again but luckily it was still under warranty from the recall.