1st Gen R50 Cooper Thinking about '06 R50 Auto for daughter...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Feb 19, 2011.

1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Hi, everyone!

Currently the daughter drives a '92 Ford Explorer and wants something smaller with better mpgs.

There is a pre-owned 2006 R50 Automatic with only 27K for sale in the area.

What should we look/watch out for if we take it for a test drive?

Also, I have the VIN and was wondering if there's a way to find out all the options? Plus maybe get the service records? The local dealership's logo is still on the boot, so I'm hoping it was serviced there as well.

Thanks in advance!

Erika

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Ugh, even tho this would possibly be a great car for her, you'd be well advised to consider an '07 Justa auto instead, or an '06 S Auto......

The CVT transmission, while it works well, is an expensive grenade when it goes - often more than the car is worth in cost to repair....

This one might be an excellent car, but do you want to roll the dice on it leaving her stranded somewhere?

I know there are a lot of folks out there who's CVT is working perfectly with over a 100K on it, but there are also plenty of folks who's car was sold for pennies because the CVT went out. Do you want to take a chance on it?

The S models and the '07-on Justa's use a regular auto trans that's been virtually bulletproof.

Or if she can drive a stick, then you'd have a lot more to choose from...

3. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +667 / 0 / -0
    I did the same thing a couple years ago with a 2003 CVT.

Unfortunately I can't tell you what to check, but the CVT transmissions are a weak spot.
    I did have the transmission and radiator fluid flushed shortly after I bought mine (somewhere around $600 combined). My local dealer was able to get me service records and orignal options (but I also got all receipts from the original owner).
    It may be possible that the MINI dealer can also give the car an inspection to help you know what you are in for in terms of upcomming maintenance and repairs (battery, brakes may be due soon) plus ballpark costs so you are not too suprised.

Mine has been good for the past almost 3 years. My only suprise was a cracked strut top bearing which I replaced with new fixed camber plates.

4. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    She learned to drive stick on a dealership loaner...however, that was a few years ago and since my MINI has a new clutch, I'm a bit reluctant to use it to give her a refresher course. :cool:

I did go to MINIUSA.com and was able to view the service records. Not sure if the dealership will give me the spec sheet info, though.

Looking at the center console, it has 3 round dials for A/C & Heat, so since that's different from my '06 Justa, it definitely doesn't have the auto-climate option.

No sunroof, which is a good thing.

No MFSW, but I do have the MFSW from mine (I upgraded to JCW awhile ago).

Toggles only include windows & door locks.

She really wants to stick with an automatic...and while I'm aware of the CVT issues, we might purchase a third-party extended warranty on it.

Looking at the pics, I don't see the paddle-shifters at all, but the transmission is clearly an automatic. :confused5:

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    No paddle shifters on the CVT....

For that matter, no paddle shifters on a Justa, period....

If you go ahead and buy this, definitely have the dealer change the transmission fliud, it's critical to the life of the trans....then have it done every 30K after that.

6. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info about no paddle shifters on Justas! :Thumbsup:

If we buy this MINI, one of the first things will be to have all the fluids changed: Oil, radiator, transmission, etc.

I was able to view the service records at MINIUSA.com and the first oil change was at 10K and the second at 20K, along with a brake flush at the 20K visit. Seems the original owner only put 10K on the car per year.

My fingers are crossed that this was a babied car. :D

7. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    My daughter is all of 4'11" (on tippy-toes!) and 95# soaking wet, so we've already come up with two nicknames:

The Little Green Machine

Sprout (the sidekick to the Green Giant veggies)

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I've had no problems with my '03 MC CVT, but I just mostly show it now...well, occasional twisty and/or MOTD driving, too. MINI didn't change to a real automatic for the MC until 2007.

9. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The best advice I can give is get an extended warranty that will cover the trans, I've seen too many fail and they are expensive.

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    The Justa DID have paddle shifters, but they were stopped with the mid 2009 productions. A friend of mine has one of the last ones made.

Jim

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    +1 :yesnod:

12. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would stay away from 1st gen Justa CVT. Get a 1st gen MCS Auto or 2nd gen Justa auto. They have a tendancy for the tranny to fail at a $7000 repair bill.