Thinking about a Mini what to "look" out for.

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by lagalaxy8, Apr 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. lagalaxy8

lagalaxy8 New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Zanesfield, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Mini's have always intrigued me. I sold my Viper a few weeks ago in search of something I would drive more and maybe year round. Being a 4 seater is a plus so my whole family can go at the same time and in the same car. So I drove a 09 S 2 weeks ago and I enjoyed it. I ended up looking at a few the same day and got nothing done. I keep thinking about getting one, but I've been doing some off and on reading over the past few weeks. I don't like cars with a "history" of major problems. (Engine, transmission, etc.) Am I just reading the few things that have went wrong or is this a wide spread thing? I would like a turbo auto if I was to purchase one. I guess I'm looking for some info I what I should really look for if I was to purchase one. Gen 1 or Gen 2. Thanks

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #2 Crashton, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    Welcome to M/A....

I see you are fairly local to central Ohio. Stop by at our next morning breakfast & talk MINI's with us. Next one is May 18th. Most folks arrive about 8:30 or so.

[ame="https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Tim+Hortons+7400+Fodor+Rd+New+Albany+OH,+43054"]Tim Hortons 7400 Fodor Rd New Albany OH, 43054 - Google Maps[/ame]

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! I have 3 MINIs...one, an '03 MC-cvt, and the other two are '06 MCSa. The '06es are supercharged, so if you are looking for a turbo, you need to look after '06. I bought one '06 new and the other used; the MC was bought used, too.

I don't put much stock in repair reports like those in Consumer reports, especially since I have had no significant problems with ANY of my MINIs.

Please come to the monthly meeting at Tim Horton's, in New Albany, as there are plenty of folk with all sorts of MINIs who can answer the questions you need answered.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: 1st Post, Welcome to MA! Please do meet with the above people to get info from 'the horses mouth'. If you need to haul 4 people then you're talking Clubman or Countryman and that rules out Gen 1.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M /A .

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Close to Mad River Mountain....come over to breakfast in New Albany on the 18th and kick some tires.

7. lagalaxy8

lagalaxy8 New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Zanesfield, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I won't be able to make the 18th but I'll look out for future events.

8. lagalaxy8

lagalaxy8 New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Zanesfield, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Supercharged or turbo is fine, just would rather not have standard. Would like the most engine i could get.

I don't ever look at Consumer reports, I was looking at forums, Edmunds owner reviews, etc.

I just went though the whole common trans issue with a Honda. A week after I owned it it started and got online to find out everyone was having the same issue. Some cars have really common issues others not so much. It's mechanical so it will break, but some things are engineered bad from the start. I've owned over 60 cars. Some have been bulletproof some have needed bullets to get rid of it. :wink:

I'm going to keep the meetings in mind and see if i can get over there sometime.

9. lagalaxy8

lagalaxy8 New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Zanesfield, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    2 of my people I need to haul are under 3ft.
    I personally think the min has more room in the rear seat then my mustang has.
    It will spend most of the time with just me in it driving it to work. Just like having the option of a back seat to run the kids around in. They like to go "Fast".

10. lagalaxy8

lagalaxy8 New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Zanesfield, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yep mad river is across the street.

11. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Every car make has it's problems, and of course you only read about the problems on forums, not the 100's or 1000's of happy owners that had their car perform perfect on the way to work. That being said I'd stay clear of the first couple of years of each Gen MINI.. in the "S" model. The non "S" MINIs seem to not have near the problems as the "S" cars have had here and there.. Good luck with your search..

12. lagalaxy8

lagalaxy8 New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Zanesfield, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I understand this. I have a car with 24k miles, and it on it's 3rd fuel pump in 10 years. Annoying. Part alone is $280. i have another car with with 130k and in 20 years has needed only typical wear & tear maintenance items. Blown engines & trannys are things that are even more annoying & pricey. So if they have a REAL history of these things going way too early then i need to proceed with caution. (I'm not meaning because of bad driving and maintenance I mean because of poor design.)

I've talked to 2 people I know that have either owned one or own one. One had the non s, and said he only had a few minor electrical issues. The other has a S and said they can't wait to get rid of it for the new engine one. And hope it doesn't have the same history as the old one. So guess I'm not the only one to read the possible issues.

If the non s has "less" issues guess I'd have to find one to take for a spin and see how it drives. Non s means less money and that is not a bad thing. :biggrin5:

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Once you drive an S that is it. You will not be happy with a non-S. I have 116,000 miles on my MINI & plan to drive it many more. Is it as reliable as some of the appliance cars out there? Heck no, but it is loads & loads of fun. Fun keeps me driving a MINI. :D

14. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I have put 116,000 miles on my non S MINI and drive it in a wide range of driving conditions. Daily driver, back road twisty blast, Dragon trips ever year, auto x, VIR track day, BMW Center days, and the only problem I have had to speak of is both axles were replaced at 100,000. Might have been due to car be lowered quite a bit for all those miles and axles not being in correct angles. Not sure if that has any bearing on that or not. If I do buy another mini it will be a non s car. Even if and or when they come out with a new engine I don't want to be the first one to be testing it out.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I agree N2MINI if I buy a current generation car it will be a non-tubo for sure. Just my .02. No offense meant to turbo fanciers. :D

16. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I joined the local guys a year ago. I had a WRX. They gave me a thorough education on MINIs. I ended up getting an 05 S JCW. The car is great. Come join us and we'll help you out.

17. 1momini

1momini New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    mechanical contractor
    Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    You should look out for a good deal on a torque wrench.
    Seriously wrenching this car is almost as much fun as driving it.

18. lagalaxy8

lagalaxy8 New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Zanesfield, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I've been busy really busy last few weeks but a Mini is still on my mind. So saying non "S" and a few years in from each gen is the "safer" route?

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    The non-S is fun. The S is more fun. At least for me.:D We have one of each.

20. lagalaxy8

lagalaxy8 New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Zanesfield, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So what about a 06 JCW? Or is the JCW not really worth the extra money? car has about 100k on it.