1st Gen R50 Cooper Thinking about exhaust

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by docv, Oct 25, 2010.

1. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Who has a cat back aftermarket exhaust on their R50, do you like it, any improvements in performance, does it sound like a ricer or does it have a good sound ?

2. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +665 / 0 / -0
    I have had my Borla Exhaust for more than a year now. I like the looks and sound but I doubt it adds much power. It has a nice low end tone, and then gets louder over 4K rpms. There is a slight burble off throttle.

HERE is a poorly filmed sound clip. Don't know if it helps or not.

I was all set to buy a Megan exhaust till I got a ride in a friends Cooper with one. Nice sound but too loud for my taste, and I didn't like the 50-70mph drone.

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I have a Megan exhaust on my 03 Justa. Together with the Way/DDM intake Poco probably picked up a few extra ponies. It burbles and snorts with a mellow growl when your just putting about, but roars when you get on it. There is a drone on the highway, but I just turn the music louder if I don't want to listen to it:lol:

[​IMG]

Mark

4. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, thats what I wanted to know. I dont want it to sound like some of the annoying Asian cars running around town. They give me a headache.

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Deeper sound, not so, how do you type?...brrrapppy

Let me figure out how to do a sound iPhone computer link thing, and I'll post what mine sounds like.

Mark

6. Cubby

Cubby Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Clovis, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a Borla with an aFe intake. Together they make beautiful music together. On a serious note, the Borla has a nice deep tone, and I've received plenty of complements from people. That's from fellow MINI owners, and import (Japanese) owners.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I'm failing at this:eek:ut:. Come visit for a listen to Poco, probably be quicker:Thumbsup:

Mark

8. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I have a MinSpeed exhaust that I got from Way Motor Works. Like Mark, I have the WMW/DDM intake which has a nice sound by itself. With the intake and the exhaust. my Cooper cabrio has a nice deep sound, not ricey or too loud (and with a cabrio, you hear a lot more than with a hardtop).

I was looking at the Megan originally so I listened to Mark's and loved the sound. I ended up with the MinSpeed because I had ordered a Megan from a place in California (not one of our vendors) and they kept giving me the runaround on when it would ship. Way had my exhaust in stock and made me a good deal on it.

I'm very happy with my exhaust, but I can also say that the Megan sounds really good. If you get a chance, get with Mark and listen to his.

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    On a R56 a Catback will be a expensive noisemaker and you only realize power changing out the downpipe too

I am *assuming* it is the same with a R50 and the need for a header to get the airflow to get the extra power avaialble

10. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I may have to venture east and see what Marks sound like, I am not really expecting much change in performance just wanting a deeper growl, for now may have to wait just a bit, have just finished refurbishing a set of s-lites and need to put some rubber around them get paid tomorrow so I know where this months MINI money is going...:D