Thinking MINI clubman....thoughts

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by AJMC, May 29, 2011.

1. AJMC

AJMC New Member

May 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well here I am. Looking to purchase a second hand car w/ no more than 20k miles on it. I like the idea of the additional cargo space in the clubman. I drive 50 highway miles one way to work, so mpg is important, dependability is important and something that's fun and enjoyable are all key. I also like to go to yard sale with my daughter. Do you all feel the MINI will fill these requirements?

Thanks everyone. Also, can someone explain the R#'s I keep
    Seeing along with 1st/2nd generation?

Thanks!!

2. AJMC

AJMC New Member

May 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I messed up on the mileage part no more than 30k and no more than $20k to spend.

3. GHOST

GHOST New Member

May 18, 2011
    Military Contractor
    Oahu,Hawaii
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi AJMC!

I think the MINI fills all three of your requirements. Fun and enjoyable for sure! :)

The extra space will definitely be a plus for the yard sales adventures.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I believe that should do the trick just fine. :Thumbsup:

Jim

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #5 Minidave, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
    Especially if you find one with the roof rails, then you can haul that odd moose head you find at the garage sale home! :D

I think a Clubman is right up your alley based on your requirememnts, you might have to look some to find a low mileage example, cause we MINI drivers like to motor!

Like any used car, a pre-purchase inspection by someone qualified that you trust should be a requirement.

Good luck, and post some pics of your new ride!

The R's refer to the model and generaton of MINI, although they can be a bit confusing....

R-50 = first gen Cooper (non-S or "Justa-Cooper").... '02-'06
    R-52 = first gen convertible, Justa or S........ '03-'08
    R-53 = first gen Cooper S.......'02-'06
    R-55 = 2nd gen Clubman, S or Justa (there is no first gen Clubman).....'08 on
    R-56 = 2nd gen Cooper S or Justa .....'07 on
    R-57 = 2nd gen convertible - S or Justa......'09 on
    R-58 & R-59 are the upcoming Coupe and Roadster......coming this fall
    R-60 = Countryman - all versions....'11 on

If I got any of these wrong, someone feel free to correct me....

6. AJMC

AJMC New Member

May 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. Do the MINI's tend to run even with high miles? Do they cost a lot to maintain? Reading the posts makes me wonder if this would be the best car for a commuter.

I don't want a car I enjoy driving though. I appreciate everyone's input. My SO had one for about 8 years and he says he loved it.

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    There are early gen 1 cars with 250K miles on them still going strong.....

I think the key to any car lasting is the care given to it. You do what it needs on a routine basis - before it craps out - and you'll have a pretty good shot at making it last a long time.

That said, I don't think a Cooper requires much more than any other car to keep going, and they're a hell of a lot of fun along the way.

8. AJMC

AJMC New Member

May 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sweet, thanks minidave. I meant to say in my post that I want to enjoy my car if I'm spending that much time in it :)

If I decided to go non clubman and wanted to get the regular MINI S, which year should be trying for?

9. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    That is a seemingly simple question, which I suspect will spawn a spirited debate ;)

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Since this car is a daily driver and your go to work car and you have a long commute, I'd see about buying a new Cooper instead. It will get way better fuel mileage and it'll be in warranty for 4 yrs/50K, plus they'll pay for maint such as oil changes and brake pads for the first 3/36.....my first gen Cooper S struggled to get 30 mpg in daily driving, most of the time it was mid- 20's....and you'll be paying for all your repairs, maintenance etc.

Even if you went over your budget slightly to get a new one, it would be worth it as you'd probably get better financing terms, and the car will always be worth more.

The new Cooper non-S is really a lot better performer than the early cars - you might be quite satisfied with the way it runs and I've read of people getting into the mid-40's on mileage on longer runs...and since the majority of your driving is just motoring along the hiway, you may find you don't need the extra power of the S.

If you decide to go used, my only advice is to get the newest, nicest, lowest mile car your budget will alllow, and have it checked out thoroughly before you buy it.

11. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I recently bought a 2008 Cooper S, that is still under warranty for a little bit longer. I have achieved 42 MPG on long highway trips BUT I have practice hypermiling from my last car, and have not been able to reproduce that since it's gotten warm enough to require air-conditioning or at least an open window.

The reason I bought it used is that I know the dealer who was selling it and got a pretty fair price, and he was willing to take my 14 year old Subaru off my hands. I kinda think the MINI dealer wouldn't even want my trusty rusty 'Ru on the lot. ;)

12. AJMC

AJMC New Member

May 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    New models seem pretty expensive to get them with at least a few options but I'll definitely look into them. I've still got a few months before I make the purchase anyway so maybe they will have better incentives :). I really appreciate all the feeback.

13. Person Moved On

Person Moved On New Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I got my 09 Clubman JCW last October and it's been a great ride. It had about 24K miles and a fair number of options - list was around 38 if I remember correctly.

Just did a 1200mi RT (the 1st long trip in the MINI) with my wife and it handled the bags (2 suitcases, hanging clothes, misc bags etc.) with no problem - only one seat folded down. I also picked up a small end table (2'x3') on the return trip - still only one seat down.

I was getting 32-33mpg with the cruise at 70-75 so I was very happy with it. Taking the Prius was the alternative - I gladly traded away 8-10 mpg for way more fun! And that's what you pay for when you buy a MINI.

14. AJMC

AJMC New Member

May 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's great to know
    Because I really can't afford to spend more than 20k. I don't think I can buy new.