2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Thoughts on pricing for bodywork

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by sil3ncer7, Sep 8, 2012.

1. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Shipping and Logistics Coordinator
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Chick in a Escalade tried to cut around me then slammed on her brakes to make her left turn and well... Yea... Easy for her to claim it was all my fault sadly. Gonna see what it is gonna be outside of insurance and go that route if needed. Luckily it wasn't too bad but wondering who has had things replaced and roughly what did it cost?

-Looking at a new hood (painted matte black)
    -Front bumper repaired
    -New grill surrounds
    -New xeon motorized headlight
    -Headlight surround

Labor for installation I can do but just cost for parts? What y'all think?

Attached Files:

2. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Couple more pics from lastnight

Attached Files:

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #3 Metalman, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Man that sucks.

I had a similar thing happen to me years ago and was clearly the others fault. I even had witnesses. Called my insurance company and they said "too late. the other party insurance called first and they claim it is your fault". I paid to fix their car then I FIRED my insurance company.

Taking the other parties word over their own insured.

Man, I say Nuke her A$$.

5. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I'll call my insurance tonight and hope she didn't claim it yet. But I just don't wanna wreck on my insurance that's all

6. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the links!

Looking like:
    Hood is $500-$700 (unpainted and w/o shipping)
    Headlamp = $400-$600 (I have to double check the p/n's)
    Chrome ring = ~$40 with clips
    Hood Chrome trim = $50

Looking about $1100ish just in parts... Depending on how the hood comes (if its a matte primer) I am probably going to leave it like that. Im working on wrapping the car so that would just be a plus and cheaper since I wouldn't have to paint.

Maybe if I can get a quote from some shops and have her cut me a check and just save some of that $. I guess well see how she wants to handle it. Then ill have to figure out how to fix the front bumper puncture. :(

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The hood and bumper cover would be in a matte grey primer.

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #8 Jason Montague, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    :cornut:(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) A year or two ago, a 35lbs raccoon did a swan dive under my passenger side front bumper at ~65mph and took out the bumper, fog light, inter cooler, oil cooler,radiator,a/c condenser, sundry nuts/bolts/fasteners/hoses/tubing, and some how dented the catalytic converter. Total repair cost $5,000. My insurance company gave me the choice of fixing it under collision, paying $250. deductible, and getting charged with a wreck or fixing it under comprehensive, paying the $1,000. deductible, and not being charged with a wreck. I paid the $1,000. and was not charged with a wreck and got a pot of 'road kill stew' and a new hat out of the deal. Any way, that's the choice that I made.:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Rats... at least a matte black paint job might be cheaper then a color matched with clear coat? Maybe some rattle can and a case of beer? Lol Matte isn't that hard to screw up. Refinished my rims on my truck that way and looked perfect.

Attached Files:

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Do you not have insurance?

If you do have it, why not turn it in to them and let them fix your car right instead of hodge podging it together?

And NO, don't support your local dealer by buying your parts from them, just because they are the repository off all good things MINI, the place where your car came from, and without whom you would have no car - no, don't support THEM!

Never mind that if you took a list of stuff you need to them chances are you could negotiate a discount for the whole purchase and save some money on factory OEM parts.

I'm all for saving money, and I have nothing against our supporting vendors, but this constant dealer bashing is really getting old.

11. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    No I have insurance I just hate to have a claim on my record even since it wasn't my fault. I'll still have that there and that will crack with my rates and I hate that.

12. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Someone backed into my drivers side door, knocking the mirror off and denting the door... Not too ugly. Quote from body shop: $1800, more if anything inside the door is damaged.

Attached Files:

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Go to a good bodyshop and get an estimate. You should call your local Stealership and ask who they use. I think every shop will giv you an estimate for free.

Just make sure you tell them you are paying out of pocket and not an insurance company because the total $$ will be less. I would expect $2-3K for you damage easy. Parts are cheap but the paint work and labor is going to be expensive.

I would file a claim for it if it was me. Good luck

14. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Looking at the parts roughly 1100 shipped to me. If I have the hood painted it'll be a lot more but if I paint it itll be matte black so I'm hoping that'll be cheaper then a color match with gloss and clear.

Installing and labor etc can be done buy me to save money. Hopefully if I can get good pricing maybe the chick will cut me a check and be done. If not, I'll be going to insurance for sure and I'll fight the claim to win.

15. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It's for situations just like this that you have insurance.....you already pay them, let them do what they're supposed to do.

Don't forget that if you do the matte-black DIY job you'll have a difficult time selling your car when it's time to trade - whatever you think you'll save off your insurance you'll lose in value to your car.

good luck with whatever you decide to do!:Thumbsup:

16. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    That is a very good point... thank you for bringing that up.

17. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Still working with the insurance, but some good news development...

The lady that caused the accident came back and has tried to all the sudden claim injuries and changing how the accident happened so my Insurance has denied her claim and is perusing her for lying under oath. (yay for me).

Anyways... I have a meeting with Geico on Thursday for the assessment on the car damages. I went to the dealer for a quote just so I had some other quotes and the guy told me it doesn't matter and didn't peruse the rest of the quote.. Geico Will make the call and thats what the check will be written for... I did ask him if when all this goes down if it is possible to get the JCW Aero bumper as my replacement :D He said it is possible as long as its a direct replacement and I dont have to get new fogs, side markers, hangers, etc... So is the JCW a direct swap???

I have always seen people getting quotes from places for the insurance, Has anyone ever dealt with Geico? Should I still go and get some quotes from others?

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The Areo bumper is a direct swap, I have done it.

19. sil3ncer7

sil3ncer7 New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    St Louis MO
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Sweeet. He said something about Id have to buy a different lower front spoiler?

it was like $70 but I didnt know it had a lower splitter.. :confused5:

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Part Number 9 below is a different item on the JCW bumper cover.

This image depicts the JCW version

[​IMG]

That part may cost an additional $70 over the standard one in their pricing books.