2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Timing chain question

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by itsmewutup, Nov 14, 2013.

1. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I had my timing chain and tensioner replaced in June last year (2012). My motor was replaced (with a used one from a rolled MINI) in March of this year (2013). Would I be safe to assume the chain and tensioner are still good to use from my old motor? I just started hearing the death rattle in this one.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I would assume nothing and have it checked.

Remember what assume means?

3. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Well I wouldn't put it on without at least getting it check. Just trying to figure out if its worth going over to my in laws, finding my way into my old BMW and digging through all the parts sitting in it.

Will always remember what assume means.

4. Blove

Blove New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got a letter that my 08 s my have an insufficiently tightened timing chain. I'm taking it in for replacement under warranty Thursday, said it would take all day. What should be my concern?

5. fngolfer

fngolfer Active Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    None since it's covered by the warranty. I'll bet the dealer will deliberately overfill the oil too. I think they do it to really saturate the cam gear.

6. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Wish I had a warranty still. Labor alone is gonna be about $1000

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Timing Chain Death Rattle

:cornut:Did MINI or AEM ever come out with (drum role), the 'Finale Solution/Permanent Solution':idea: for the timing change tensioner oiler problem in R56's. MINI Margi's(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) had this changed several years ago but I'm starting to hear that familiar 'rattle clang clang .' MARGI's off of warranty now but I have the money and love that little car(most of y'all know that it's because of her name sake). I'm going to check with my 'deep cover spy':wink: at a certain dealership. I'd really like to here it from one of y'all though. :Thumbsup:

Jason

8. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: BUMP BUMP :Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Yes they did, it shouldn't cost you anything, I got reimbursement for my out of pocket expense. When they replaced things what ended up happening is they reinstalled the same defective parts that got you into that mess in the first place. Part numbers have been updated and time will tell if they hold up.

10. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I haven't heard anything in thugs but Wil check with a reliable source later

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Thank you very much. I'll check with the dealer through my Deep Cover dealer agent.:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    To me a timing chain has always been considered a wear part - tho not in these short mileages - but I consider it a 100K part.....just my perspective.

My understanding of this issue is that the tensioners fail, allowing the chain to slap and break the guides, pieces of which can end up in between the sprockets and chain causing it to skip in the worst case and get out of time, destroying the engine.

Supposedly the recall/service action or whatever they want to call it was for some poorly made chains as well as failing tensioners installed in a certain range of engines made between 07 and 09.

That said, the latest iteration is supposed to be up to snuff.

13. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. This pans out exactly with my research. Jason

Thanks and yes once again it pans out with my research. Jason

:cornut: Okay, here it is as told to me secretly but officially. R56's 08(includes 08's like MINI Margi that were actually made in 07)-09 can indeed have their timing chain, tensioner, and oiler changed to the new updated parts that are supposedly the final fix(I don't want to say final solution as it sounds so Nazi). Call the dealer(even if out of warranty) with your VIN# and mileage(I don't know what the mileage cut off is but my MINI Margi[08 R56 MCS/JCWm] @ 80kmi is okay for dealer paid fix even though she's out of warranty). So there is still hope for us 08-09 R56 people. I'm scheduling my appointment with service tech extraordinaire Steve Phillips at MINI of Dallas ASAP but I'll wait for Steve to be available.

And now we know the rest of the story,

Jason

14. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I'm not aware of a mileage cutoff. My dealer replaced the timing chain cassette on my '07 with 113K mile on the clock. No questions asked and gave me a loaner for the weekend.

15. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    mileage cutoff is 150k

and all 07-10s should be covered if they develop the death rattle under that mileage. On a slightly different note, every replacement engine we have installed in the past 2 years (more than 15) with the "NEW AND IMPROVED" internal parts has performed wonderfully. I have one customer with an RMW tuned/ heavily modded car and it is going 5 thousand miles between oil changes with NO oil consumption. Made me comfortable buying one of these for our shop car.

16. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    That's really excellent news for us Mini owners, lets hope they got it right this time! Hard to believe that an inexpensive part such as a chain tensioner could cause such widespread catastrophe, even destroying an entire engine.