Today's unexpected side trip...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rawhyde, May 28, 2014.

1. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Today, the group I work with celebrated what we call PRIDE Day. Each working group in the company has a set of self generated goals and objectives to meet. If we meet them, the entire group gets a day off with pay and a budget to do an activity as a group. I am lucky to work with a group of fine folks of good character who always wind up maxing out our PRIDE Day awards.

This year, we met up at Cracker Barrel for a huge breakfast and then went up to the Lost Sea in Sweetwater, TN. The Lost Sea is a tourist destination in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. You spend a few hours hiking down into a cave to see all sorts of nice rock formations, and other geologic wonders. The main attraction is a large underground lake. The lake is completely underground, and it covers about 7 acres. There is one known larger underground lake in Africa, but the choking sulfur fumes and the long trip make the one in Africa inaccessible except for people who aren't addicted to oxygen.

Anyway, we all had a great time, had a nice lunch, and went our separate ways.

As I was leaving, I couldn't help but notice that I was only about 45 minutes from any MINI owner's favorite destination....

I didn't drive the MINI, but I thought I'd Slay the Dragon in a POS!

I did slay the Dragon last November in the MINI, and I thought it'd be cool to zip through and take the scenic ride home.

I stopped by both stores on the NC end and loaded up on swag (stickers, etc), and was in bad need of an ice cold Coke. When I went into Killboy's store, the first thing I asked for was change for the Coke Machine. I'd just Slayed the Dragon in a S***box and I was exhausted! No cops, minimal traffic, just a good time. My only regret was that I was by myself.

Here are a few pics....

DSC_0133-1200.jpg

DSC_0169-1200.jpg

DSC_0159-1200.jpg

DSC_0153-1200.jpg

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Coulda been worse. It could have been a Camrey. ;)

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That POS looks perfect next to the tree of shame all you needed was a big hook to hang it on the tree of shame. :Thumbsup::ihih::lol:

The underground lake sounds cool and would be nice to visit next year when we are at the Dragon.

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    How can you tell it's not a Camry?:biggrin5:

Dave

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's the big H in the middle of the grille... :lol:

6. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Not a MINI, but the little Honda can get the job done, nice pictures, I will have to remember this place for my next visit. :)

Sometimes driving it alone is good!

Don