Too sideways?

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by rigidjunkie, Nov 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    evo Car of the Year | Performance Car of the Year | Car Reviews | evo

OK I would like to ask all of you, what do you think about the growing emphasis on cars sliding sideways around corners by the automotive press these days?

I like the idea of drifting all say long as much as the next guy, BUT in the real world there just are not many chances to slide a car around a corner safely. Yesterday I spent three hours driving some of the best twisty roads around and in all that time there were two times where I was able to get my car sideways and slide around a corner relatively safely. It was fun and coming around the one corner the other way and seeing four nice long black streaks of rubber and knowing they came from a my red hatch. But the rest of the day was spent keeping the car on the right side of the yellow (on the roads where there was a yellow) and being aware of others traveling on the same roads.

Yes I know the Mini is not a drift kind, BUT I do remember some pretty epic lift oversteer in my Cooper.

[​IMG]

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Great photo Allen. Love the road!

3. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    At times it was more of a path :)

4. Michigan Mini

Michigan Mini New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Health Care
    Lathrup Village, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am in full agreement. Although there are forms of racing that rely on breaking traction/grip and the skill of the driver to maintain control of the car, losing grip, to me, does not require as much control as your example of staying in your lane while driving spiritedly. The sideways thing is much overdone.

And I second what Crashton said, nice road!

Motor On!
    Chris

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I think you can trace the need for sideways to Top Gear. Since they had so much success others are not parroting them.

I to think it is way overdone at this point.

How many times do I now need to see a super slow motion shot cut in with smoke billowing off tortured tires. It's old.