1st Gen R53 Cooper S Top end rattle when First start !!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Thumper460, Jan 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    well.. this is the issue!! SET UP: Walk out to start the MINI for the days trip to work. Turn the key, engine starts.. and for a few seconds there is a rattling noise from the top of the engine. OR start the engine and there is a rattling noise from the engine that finally goes away after a long time.

After a major Diag, or hours on You Tube, you are of the opinion that it is the cam chain tensioner!! ( Loosing pressure and collapsing allowing the chain to rattle, until oil pressure can pump it back up) Cool!! Change it and you are rocking!! Sweet!

Now as time goes, you have moded the engine and that first start rattle is back again!! WTF you have only 5000-8000 miles on the new chain tensioner. ?????

I have milled my Head for more compression and MPG!! I have advanced my cam ( actually changed cams 15-20 times doing R&D) and now I have that good ole 'first start rattle' !! Cool I will live with it!!

Then I read on MA about the Nate's Gnat Spacer"... !! and to even make it simpler there were pictures..

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-engine-drivetrain/15735-has-anyone-skimmed-r50-block-raise-cr.html#axzz2IL0mNgCk POST 8

Been 5 days with 7800 rpm revs, then the usual traffic.. nothing!! NO start up rattle!! I used two washers at .075" for the total thickness of .150" !!

Long post for a great fix. AFTER you fixed it the right way..LOL

Just me...............................

Thumper

PS when the cam chain tensioner goes limp.. it also retards the cam timing and that is a great loss of power!!