Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires TPMS light on, 09 MCS

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by legacyman, Nov 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. legacyman

legacyman New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Thornton, CO
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have recently purchased another set of rims and tires for the winter. My new rims don't have the sensors in them so i expected the TPMS light to come on. Can i disable this system while my winter tires are on the car? Should/could i purchase another set of sensors and install them?
    The rims i removed are the accessory 17 inch rims with Dunlop tires and i installed a set of 16 inch rims off a cooper that didn't have the TPMS system.
    Thanks for your suggestions. LM

2. TWISTER

TWISTER Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Male
    Web Developer/Designer
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    You'll need another set or live with the light on

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I don't believe that you can disable the TPMS, but I do not own a MINI that uses it so I am not sure. If the warning light is not too obnoxious maybe you could live with it or put a piece of black take over the offending nanny light. From what I've gathered new sensors are in the $250 range. Plus not all wheels will accept the sensors. Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    +1

Either live with the light being on (that would drive me crazy) or add the sensors. I chose to add the sensors and purchased them through Tire Rack. They will work with most any wheel as long as there is enough distance between the valve stem hole and the tire bead. The TPMS sending unit occupies that space. The guys at Tire Rack can help you with those dimensions.

5. legacyman

legacyman New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Thornton, CO
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the helpfull hints. I was going to leave these tires on untill February or March but i'm not wild about the light being on so I'm going to look into putting sensors in the wheels. Kinda pricy though, yikes.
    Regards, LM

6. leicaguy

leicaguy New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Medical Tech
    Catawba (near Roanoke), VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try living with the light for a while. I have a set of track wheels and tires that I swap out several times a year and sometimes I end up leaving them on for weeks. At first the light was bothersome but slowly I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all now.

7. phinz

phinz New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    A trick I learned from the Mustang guys is to take a set if sensors, install them in a sealed pvc pipe, pressurize said pipe through one of the valves and toss it into the trunk. They can then change wheels as often as they want without having to get new sensors all the time. I don't know if this will work on a Mini. I just dealt with the light on my Miata.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I think the Mini sensors still count speed of rotation, not just pressure....so I dont think thatll work

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Really? You mean they're part of the ABS system, sort of the opposite of the early cars?

I drove my '09 Clubby for over a year with the light on, I got used to it after a bit. I did put the sensors in once I had to replace the tires tho...

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I don't believe they are part of the ABS system. At least I can't understand how they could be. Folks who run without TPMS sensors are not reporting ABS failures.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The speed sensors are not part of the Tire Pressure System.

The speed sensor on the front... Item #8 in the diagram below.

[​IMG]

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So.....
    Does anyone know if the MINI TPMS system uses batteries or is it battery-less? And is it indirect?? Here's what Wikipedia has to say about indirect......

Indirect
    Indirect TPMS do not use physical pressure sensors. Indirect TPMS measure the "apparent" air pressure, by monitoring individual wheel rotational speeds, and other signals available outside the tire itself. Most indirect TPMS use the fact that an under-inflated tire has a slightly smaller diameter than a correctly inflated tire and therefore has to rotate at a higher angular velocity to cover the same distance as a correctly inflated tire. Newer developments of indirect TPMS can also detect simultaneous under-inflation in up to all four tires using vibration analysis of individual wheels or analysis of load shift effects during acceleration and/or cornering, which can be realized in software using advanced signal processing techniques. However, the vibration analysis technique may require the use of additional suspension sensors which result in increased complexity and cost of the overall system as long as vertical chassis movements are concerned. That is why most current advanced indirect systems use the spectral content of the wheel speed sensor signals so no additional sensors are needed and the computations can also be carried out by usual processors for example in usual ABS or ESC control units.[citation needed]

13. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
  14. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    What Metalman wrote is my understanding. They need to be rotating... same reason you cannot reset an 09's TPMS while sitting still!

15. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    R50, R52, R53 = indirect. They compare the relative wheel speeds side to side and corner to corner.

R55, R56, R57, R60 = direct. They use a TPMS sensor integrated into the valve stem.

Externally, they're easy to tell apart. The direct sensors use a big chunky gray cap, while the indirect sensors have the regular schrader valve cap.

Indirect pressure monitoring systems need to be rotating (relative speed means nothing when all wheels are zero), but you can use any wheel. Direct TPMS require compatible sensors mounted in each wheel, and it's recommended that you rebuild or replace the sensors with every tire change. The rebuild process involves new o-rings and possibly a new valve core (not sure, but I think it's more than just o-rings).

16. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    So you are saying that Direct use physical pressure sensors... and I can put them in my trunk?

17. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it sends the pressure signal to a central antennae.

Dave

18. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered a TPMS from Out Motoring for my new summer tire set. Good price :Thumbsup: