2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Transmission/Axle Noise Question

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Redbeard, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I will preface this with: I am paranoid about my car. I'm most likely going to find a dumb reason this is happening but I'm going to ask to be sure. :biggrin5:

Today driving back to the office from lunch with the windows down (it's like 78f today) I heard a VERY subtle sound coming from the front of the car. It sounds like a cricket holding a single pitch. Or a very soft constant squeek. Like I said it's VERY subtle. If my windows weren't down I would not have heard it. At times the wind noise easily drowned out the sound.

These are the noted conditions the sound occured under:

-Clutch engaged (NOT pressing the pedal), in gear (any), moving above 10 mph.
    -If still in gear and I apply the brakes the car slows the pitch stays the same but the volume goes down (gets quieter).
    -If I disengage the clutch (pedal down) at any speed or any gear the sound stops immediately.

Not 100% confirmed due to wind noise but it seems like if I am turning left the sound stays but if I turn right it goes away. That's not 100% positive.

Any ideas?

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Not to feed you paranoia, but I had a cv joint go bad. It exhibited similar cricket sounds. It was by no means loud. It was fixed under warranty. My MINI is an R53 if that matters. I'd make an appointment & have it looked at.

Oh I see you have busted out of warranty. In that case I would wait for it to get louder before worrying too much about it.

3. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I had a very similar sound just prior to MOTD; turns out it was the wheel bearing which ended up being replaced **AT** MOTD thanks to Helix & Way.

Helix did the work; Way had a staff member bring the part from his shop.

Now Schultze has 3 wheels with the same size lugs and the passenger front now has 2007+ lugs.

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Just turn the radio up.:Thumbsup:

Dave

5. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    That makes sense as the loading and un-loading from the clutch engagement and speed. I'll have a look at it this weekend.

Poor Shultze. :( I'm gonna guess it's not the hubs because of the tie to the clutch.

Not a Mustang... sooo... no.

6. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I missed the disengaged clutch part...oops!

7. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    So, it's still there and it louder on some days and quieter on others. So some new data points:

- It seems like the warmer days it tends to be louder. No 100% on that.

- As opposed to previously suggested: turning has no noticeable effect on the sound.

- It can generally be heard at any speed under 50 mph with the windows down and can now be heard with the windows up up to about 40 mph.

- Further along the clutch dis-engagement line: As soon as the pedal is pushed in the slightest the sound stops immediately.

I'm due for an oil change and I'm going to try to get my favorite tech to ride along and get his imput as well.

I fully admit I'm paranoid but I have the drive from California to Texas coming up and I don't want to be stranded in the middle of no-where on I-10 with a blown-up MINI and my new Bride.

8. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Singing crickets - you're driving too slow and the car is bored! :lol:

Actually that perfectly describes the sound mine makes. Been doing that for 2 years, ever since a botched shift when lapping at Shannonville. Got stuck between 2nd and 3rd and finally went in with a clunk. Seemed fine after, but a couple days later I noticed the cricket sound. I can hear it with the windows closed too, but barely. Must be transmission/clutch related.

For me it only happens at neutral throttle/constant speed - goes away if I accelerate or lift off the throttle or press in the clutch. More noticeable at lower speeds (perhaps because of less wind noise) and it is higher pitched when driving faster.

The good news is I've put on about 40,000 miles since it started and it hasn't gotten any worse.

9. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    no, wait: your volume changes with speed, but the pitch is constant. I have constant volume, but changing pitch. Maybe not the same issue then.

10. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Not likely. :ihih:

I've better nailed down the temp issue and it's making a sound when I'm stopped. I'm starting to think it might be the throwout bearing.

- If the car is cold and comes up to temp then there is no noise.
    - If the car is allowed to cool after a drive for 30-60 mins the sound is present and VERY noticeable.
    - In the aforementioned condition it will make the same sound if stopped with clutch engaged (pedal not pressed) and in neutral.
    - As before at any time the sound is heard the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal and the sound stops.

11. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I think you've narrowed it down - either the throwout bearing or something in the tranny, I'd bet on the TO bearing since it takes so little pressure to get it to do it.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'd check the easy stuff first. Oil in the gearbox? If yes keep looking...

13. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. Trans has oil. All good. Given that I'm not having any issues other than hearing a sound I'm inclined to believe the TB is the culprit.

I'm getting one last oil change at my MINI dealer here in CA and I will get the head tech to ride along and give me his impressions to be sure.

If it's the TB I'm just gonna wait until I get a job in Texas and can afford to have Keith tear it down and swap out for an OS Giken unit and be done with it. :Thumbsup: