Truck smashes parked Mini on Capitol Hill, bad driver flees

Discussion in 'Weird MINI News' started by Nathan, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

By Kieran Nicholson
    The Denver Post

Some Capitol Hill residents had a rude awakening this morning when a pickup truck plowed into the front end of a Mini Cooper, wrecking the sporty compact, before the driver of the truck tore away from the scene.

The noisy crash happened at about 6:35 a.m. on East 10th Avenue between Sherman and Grant Streets.

The Mini was blasted with such force that it slammed a Volkswagen Jetta parked behind it, and the Jetta was nudged into a Mercury four-door sedan.

"Oh man, it just makes me sick this morning," said Candice Leighton, the Mini's owner, as she looked over her mangled car.

"I don't know what happened, I was taking a shower and came out to this!"

A witness said the vehicle that caused the damage was a green, older-model, full-size pickup truck, perhaps a GMC, with a camper shell on the back.
    As the driver of the truck sped away, it clipped a Honda Accord, leaving green paint scraped onto the rear driver side of the car.

A couple of Denver police officers cruised the alleys and streets of the neighborhood afterward, but didn't find the culprit vehicle.

The truck was likely parked in front of the Mini and behind the Accord and when the driver went to pull out the truck smashed the Mini. The truck's driver didn't stick around to report the mangled mess. No one was injured.

When the Mini was forced back into a Jetta, the Mini's exhaust pipe poked through a front-end air vent on the skirt of the Volkswagen. As the Mini recoiled after the pressure of the crash released, it tore off the front bumper of the Jetta.

"Oh no!" said Ellery Littlefield, the Jetta's owner, as she sprang from the front door of her apartment building ready to jump into her car. "Somebody was in a hurry this morning."

Instead of joining the rush hour commute, Leighton and Littlefield instead whipped out their cell phones to call and report they'd be running late. They also put in calls to their insurance agents.

Leighton loves her 2007 Mini, she said, and just bought it this past summer. The car, which had only 3,000 miles on it when Leighton purchased it, is likely totaled. The entire front-end was smashed and the engine was mangled.

Leighton nicknamed her sport car "Winnie Cooper."

"I'm depressed," she said, forcing a smile. "What a great way to kick-off the day."

Source - Denver Post

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It's probably better for her if the MINI gets totaled on the insurance claim.

Referred to as a "Sports Car"......:Thumbsup: Instead of a cute econobox:D

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I feel bad for her and her car. What the heck is wrong with people these days? Very pathetic. :frown2:

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    My guess is it was a drunk driver. Stupid Stupid Stupid!!! :incazzato:

Sorry to see a nice MINI all torn up.

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    We call that a "morning dewy," as in DUI. Stinks for that MINI owner. I hope she's able to buy another one.

6. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    That is just Raw!

7. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    That makes me sad inside. :(

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I find it hard to believe that the truck was parked prior to smashing the MINI. That's too much damage to have been done in reverse! Poor owner, what a way to start the day!

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :incazzato: That does it! I'm calling M.A.D.D. (Minis Against Drunk Drivers):mad5:. :Thumbsup: My heart goes out to her(all kidding aside)

Jason

10. vargasgal

vargasgal Club Coordinator

May 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That makes me feel much better about my recent hit-n-run. My guy actually stopped, just left the scene after I called the po po. Since I got all his contact info, I am guessing one too many happy hour drinks at the country club.