1st Gen R53 Cooper S Trying to diagnose a problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by AliceCooper, Nov 16, 2011.

1. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    2004 MCS I know the stock expansion tanks are prone to leaking and I am wondering if that is why mine keeps going dry every other day. I am not overheating but scanguage shows a little spike when stopped and then goes back to about 197 when I am moving. No strange noises. I do get a smell like coolant on a header. If its not expansion tank, that I am switching this weekend what would be the next good thing to check ? leaking thermostat maybe ? or waterpump leak ? would rather deal with thermostat.

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    We will all replace the expansion tank sooner or later, at ~$30 just go ahead and do it.

The thermostat housing O-ring is also known to fail. I think you can buy a kit with the O-ring and thermostat, might as well replace it too. Also, some have had leaks from cracks in the housing itself, as it is a composite material.

This is all pretty easy DIY stuff, just take your time.

Good luck with the fix.

3. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully it is just the coolant tank but if not:

Look for puddled coolant or white residue (dried coolant) near the thermostat housing to tell if it is leaking. Going dry every other dry is probably a bigger leak than the theromstat housing.

Use a flashlight to look around the engine compartment for white residue indicating dried coolant and try to trace up to initial leaking spot.