TX- the Twisted Sisters

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Twistee, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Twistee

Twistee New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The famous "Twisted Sisters" are some of the best and most scenic twisty roads in Texas.

RR 335, RR 336, & RR 337 are also favorites with the motorcycle crowd. Many motorcycle sites post maps of the area, for example: Beautiful Hill Country views, lots of tight curves and elevation changes. Experienced motorers will describe it as 'challenging'.

Start in San Antonio, go up State Hwy 16 (another great road) through Bandera, to Medina, where you link up to RR337. If you run it as a clockwise loop, you will stay on rr337 all the way to Camp Wood, passing through Vanderpool and Leaky. Medina to Camp wood is about 58 miles.

The Bent Rim Grill in Leaky is a welcome rest stop for food run by friendly Texicans.

In Camp Wood you shoot North on 56 to pick up RR335, crossing and following the Medina river for about 33 miles to HWY 41 where you turn East, go about 14 miles, then South on RR336 back down to Leaky. There is a Motorcycle Museum on RR336 if you are into those things, I ate there once too, not recommended.

The whole loop is an all-day skidfest if starting from San Antonio. Important to be fully fuelled in Medina. Also very important to watch for two-wheelers on blind curves and hills.

2. lairdlan

lairdlan New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Any dyno/tuning shops in Texas or Louisiana area that you could turn me on to? I'm trying to find something that isn't on the east or west coast and isn't more than 5 hours from me. I'm at Ft. Polk, LA. Thanks man.

Sounds like some great driving, for both the car and the bike! Maybe some day i can check it out!

3. budzrex

budzrex New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Industrial Sales
    New Braunfels TX
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Werkin Mini is in Pipe Creek Texas right at the start of the great roads of
    the Hill Country

Keith is top notch

4. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Many runs of the Twisted Sisters

I first did the Twisted Sisters years ago on my Triumph T-Bird. Been back many times in the Lenz. They really are unique and just as you described.

I get all my work done at Werkin Mini...k-huevo is a unique fellow...most meticulous and very knowledgeable...a natural engineer. But, he doesn't have a dyno. The Cobb Tuning folks are in Austin and they know all the players in Austin and SA...I'm sure they'd recommend someone. They have a great dyno set up but I think they just use it for product testing.

Btw, another fun time at the Twisted Sisters is to go "Church Huntin'"...If you know who the actor Thomas Hayden Church is you might see him around town in Leaky on a Sunday afternoon at one of the food stops.

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    An organized ride on the Twisted Sisters route is coming Saturday October 6. MTHT

6. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
  7. MINIPlay

MINIPlay New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 7th Annual MTHT is 9/30 and 10/1 this year!

8. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
  9. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    We always included the Twisted Sisters on our Bluebonnets and BBQ drives with the Audi Club. It is some great road, but it is over way too soon. I don't recall how long that stretch of road is, but I always wanted it to be five times longer.

CD

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    WP_20170315_16_49_03_ProR.jpg Some friends and I did our own classic Mini run to the hill country last March, we had a terrific time - the bluebonnets were just starting to bloom, traffic was light to non-existent and the roads were in good to OK shape - very abrasive material. The one thing you must watch out for with a classic are the cattle guards - they caught a couple of us by surprise and one guy got a bent rear suspension rod out of the experience. easily fixed with a new piece of steel (this time) tubing......but be aware! The issue isn't the guard itself, it's that they are lower than the road surface, so its a short but severe dip LLana_0016_2500p.jpg LLana_0016_2500p.jpg WP_20170314_09_48_50_Pro.jpg in the road.

11. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I would love to do another Bluebonnets and BBQ Tour. With MINIs. Eat, drive, eat, drive and eat. Sleep, and repeat.

CD

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, that pretty much describes our trip!

It was a pretty long haul down from KC to Kerrville (our base camp) and home again, but the trip was fantastic!

We're doing an Ozarks run in May this year. I think I put up a thread on it already.....

13. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    If you do the Hill Country again, make Fredericksburg your base. It is 24 miles NE on HWY 16 from Kerrville, and is a wonderful town. On the way South to Fredericksburg, you can stop in Llano for some killer BBQ at Cooper's.

CD

14. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    We did spend plenty of time in F'burg, and we did eat in Llano at Coopers!