Exterior 1st Gen Upgrading Headlights

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Mishka, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to upgrade my OEM halogen headlights on my 2005 Cooper Cabrio. I was originally thinking of getting a set of OEM Xenon headlights and converting but then found these: New MINI Halo LED Projector Headlights - Silver

I'm mechanically challenged so I'm wondering if anyone has tried this conversion and their thoughts on the final result. Also, as I'm mechanically challenged, is this a difficult project and is there any additional things that need to be done after the lights are installed.

Also, if you have tried converting from OEM halogen to OEM Xenon, was it difficult and what was required?

2. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Remodel pools, built new pools, and flat work conc
    Sun city in sunny California
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I recently installed a set of afterm spyder headlights , not a whole lot to it three screws lights out ( sry on a 04 R50 "non s) and if u still have issues try YouTube.:)

3. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm not as familiar with R50/53 stuff but are those aftermarket headlight housings for xenon lamps or standard halogen? If they are xenon, is it a simple swap or do you need to change fuses and/or wiring?

4. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    If just looking for better light output, a simple and inexpensive option is to replace the H7 low and high beam bulbs. I used the Osram Rallye 65W bulbs at 2 for $36:
    H7 bulbs
    Since they are 65W bulbs (instead of 55W) they are not street legal but I have not had any issues with other drivers or police. Just keep them aimed properly.

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I have used PIAA Extreme whites in the past on my MINI's that didn't have factory Xenons and they helped a lot. One of our members, Cooper99, changed out his standard lights for Xenons a while back and could help you. I suggest that you PM him.

6. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    That's basically the same questions I have.

I thought about just upgrading the bulbs but I like the look of the Xenon projector headlights so I thought about doing a swap.

7. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I think you should go for the swap, really nice lights plus it's a good upgrade

8. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    We went from OEM halogen, to pre-facelift Xenon, to the new OEM projector HIDs on the 02. All you do is swap them out, plug them in, and aim them. Nothing else is needed.

9. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Butthole surfers.... True that ....true that