1st Gen R53 Cooper S Valvoline SynPower 5w-30

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by lrtrees, Jul 27, 2009.

1. lrtrees

lrtrees New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It certainly is not my intent to start a, which oil is better thread, but I have a question.
    I see when looking on the miniUSA site that among the oils listed as acceptable in the R53 that Valvoline's SynPower 5w-30 is included. I have read through a number of threads here, but have not seen much on this oil. Do any of you use it? If so, what do you think of it. I have used Valvoline in all my cars for a number of years and although have never had any of the oil tested in those cars, I have been happy. The recommended Castrol seems to have people on different sides of the fence, although the European blend seems to be liked along with Moble1.

Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts if you have any to share.

Thanks,
    Lon

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We have some customers using it and it works fine. IMO oil is like different flavors of Kool-aid everyone likes something different. No one can tell the different is brands of oil in an engine. What I mean is if you use synthetic 5w30 and change brands you won't be able to tell a difference in performance one bit, if you can then your more in tune with an engine than anyone and should be working for an oil manufacture. Use the correct weight of whatever flavor you want.

3. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    All I could think of when I read Way's post was:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY"]YouTube - Castrol EDGE - Think With Your Dipstick[/ame]

THINK WITH YER DIPSTICK, JIMMY!
    (WHACK!)

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:Thumbsup:

5. Earth Luck

Earth Luck New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Feng Shui Consultant
    Miami, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was looking at the BMW oil requirements and thought I would share my insights with everyone. If you look closely at BMW Long-life rating LL-01 specifically says: Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market.

*Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
    *Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
    *Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
    *Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

You can see that Castrol, Pennzoil and Mobil 1 (is European just does not say so) are specific European formulas to meet this requirement. But Valvoline Synpower SAE 5W-30 is not specifically designed for European market but DOES meet their requirements naturally. I am attaching a link that explains very clearly all of Valvolines oils specification compliance link http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf

Hope this helps!

Angel

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The key with European formulae

is that they haven't diluted the definition of synthetic. Here it can be reformulated oil base stock (pumped from the ground and processed). There it has to be fully synthetic oil base stock. Thank your weak willed government and your aggressive industry lobbiests for this dilution of terms.

Matt

7. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I wondered what the difference in formulation was, thanks for the explanation.
    Referring to what Way said earlier, when I switched from Mobile 1 to Royal Purple I did notice slightly smoother idle on cold start-ups, but nothing noticeable in power. I'll stick to the purple Kool-aide myself though based on that alone.

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    FYI there are two diff spec sheets here, The 'MST' is what they spec for all European cars. Regular SynPower is not

9. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    #9 RonsMinnie, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    This link was posted by "Investigator" on the sewing forum and is a very interesting article about choosing oil.

Ferrari Owners Club - Florida Region

Then in the left side choose "Educational Articles" Then choose at top of page "Introduction to Motor Oil"

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Ron

Really Informative

Nate, would it be improper to place this in our Library?

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Would need to get permission form the author.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That is an old post on the Bobtheoilguy website. I think it came from the 80's or something. Some good info, but a bit dated.

13. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sooooo, is anyone running Mobil 1 0W40 in their R53? I was tempted to try this one a month ago at the last oil change, but I stuck with 5W30 this time.

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I did for the last change, but for me it was more for the range than the new BMW LL rating.

I really don't put to many miles on my MINI (6 yrs old with 38K) so I have gone to a yearly oil change and wanted something with a little more temp range to it as my area gets real cold and real hot during the year.

That is not counting if and when I can continue my track days again.....

15. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Don't think it quite that old Dr. Hass post can be found here on this discussion in 2005.

[ame=http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85335]I'm Back With More Motor Oil Information - FerrariChat.com[/ame]