1st Gen R53 Cooper S Vibration Upon Acceleration- worn CV Housing??

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by SooperCoopers, Oct 16, 2015.

1. SooperCoopers

SooperCoopers New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hello!

I am currently experiencing vibration upon acceleration in my 03 R53. It can be felt in the 20mph range and is much more intense when accelerating in the 50mph+ range.

I went to take a look a my drivers side CV joint...and this is what I discovered. I noticed wear inside of the CV housing (looks like some of the grease escaped the boot over time.) I can physically feel a slight indentation where I (assume) the bearing was metal-on-metal with the housing at some point. Note that one of the signs of wear is slightly more brown than the rest...this is the deepest groove. I believe the color change is from high heat.

Could this wear be the sign of my vibration when I accelerate? Has anyone seen this before? Regardless, I think I will replace this piece... I am guessing it just pops out from the transmission with a screwdriver?
    IMG_1071.jpg

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yes it could be the cause of the vibration. Even if it is not it needs to be replaced. you are correct it just pops out with a long screwdriver or pry bar. I would change the spider baring on the end of the axel and boot.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I agree that will most probably be the source of your vibration.....I think the only way you can buy that inner joint is to get a complete axle assy, is that the left or right side?

If it's the right, be sure to buy the axle with the intermediate bearing too.

4. SooperCoopers

SooperCoopers New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies. This is on th drivers side (left) without the intermediate bearing. I actually haven't even looked at the passenger side CV axle yet.

I think the plan is to look for a replacement at a junk yard but if that doesn't work I think my next option will be a rebuilt cv online?

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Rebuilts are available pretty cheap now. I bought a pair for my manual conversion. You never know how long they'll last... but they're cheap (like $60-$100).

Low mileage junkyard axle would also be a good choice.

6. SooperCoopers

SooperCoopers New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    This fixed it!!!

I replaced the CV Axle with a new one and there is no more vibration!

Its amazing how just that little burr in the CV axle caused so much vibration.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    with no lubrication it was binding on every revolution.

Glad you got it fixed! :Thumbsup: