Video: 4 Way Stop vs Roundabout

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The Mythbusters folks look at the American 4 Way Stop Sign Vs The UK/ European Roundabout in how efficient they are with amount of traffic flow it can take.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvoFjirrgYA]4 Way Stop Vs Roundabout - Mythbusters - YouTube[/ame]

2. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    I like roundabouts.. especially in a MINI :D

3. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Only thing about roundabouts I dont like is the fact nobody in the US seems to know how to use them!

I mean how flippin hard is it to look left and give traffic in the roundabout the right of way... I have stopped slamming on the brakes for these people, and started aiming for them! :p

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    ...especially when there's no other traffic coming and one is permitted to make several complete circuits. :cornut:

5. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    As a committed roundabout user, one negative that needs to be added is that they can be a source of minor shunts. In US drive-on-the-right, the second car at a roundabout entry will be looking left to see if they can enter while the car in front is going to the right to go round the roundabout. If the driver in front starts to move off and then changes their mind, the second driver is now looking in to the left and may not notice the sudden stop. Generally an under-5mph collision, so just annoying not dangerous.

And nowadays, we Brits use a lot of mini roundabouts at the sort of suburban junctions where I've found 4-way stops used. These are 'symbolic' roundabouts being painted on the road but can be driven over (particularly by long vehicles). They are really close to being a 4-way stop, but with a different set of priority rules.

[​IMG]

6. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    We have two-lane roundabouts here, so if you're really good you can use the inside inclined curb to hook the car at the apex, turn and drift out as you accelerate onto the straight. :devil:

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Hey....Those arrows are painted the WRONG WAY!!! :devil:

8. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you just reverse around the roundabout! :D:crazy::D

9. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    That's what we have here: 4-way stops where people make up their own rules. :frown2:

10. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    There's a few roundabouts here in MI ( 3 lane Roundabout) and if there's no traffic I do a complete circuit :) one of the roundabouts is by a Police station, I tend not to do a complete circuit there though. :D

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd be too darn tempted to do this loop below from that map in the previous post.

[​IMG]

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What I most hate about the roundabouts is the fact that if traffic is heavy coming from one particular direction, that lane will overwhelm the rest of the lanes.

13. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Honestly! This is like listening to children telling adults what scary monsters they aren't afraid of.....

If you think you're big enough, read on.

The daddy of all scary roundabouts is in Swindon, Britain and consists of five mini-roundabouts each with up to four lanes round a central main roundabout - with the result that you can go round the central roundabout in both directions......

[​IMG]

Even the locals took a while to work out how to use it and they named it after the British version of the French kid's animation show, The Magic Roundabout. The name so stuck that even to local council have given in and made it the official name:

[​IMG]

And some kind soul has even, so appropriately, made an animation of how it works:

[ame=http://youtu.be/kPANKRHL9HU]Magic Roundabout Animation - YouTube[/ame]

14. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    I never thought of that :) One of these days I'll do that loop when there isn't a lot of traffic around :biggrin5:

Chris

15. Stinker

Stinker Active Member

May 16, 2009
    USPS Maintenance Mech
    Smithfield, VA
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I got dizzy watching that video.:rolleyes:

16. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I just got back from a week in Ireland, where I found the Roundabouts quite easy to navigate. The only problem is that when I encountered one here in the states, I began to go around clockwise.... not smart of me!

17. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Any time you think roundabouts are a good idea, check this video out - a German tourist's video of the Place de l'Etoile in Paris (presumably shot from on top of the Arc de Triomphe in the middle).

The French are trapped by their traditional rule of 'priorité a droite' (priority to the right) into the crazy situation where traffic coming onto a roundabout has priority and traffic already on the roundabout has to yield - causing impressive traffic jams.

But you have to admire their free-form seven-lane roundabout. As a child I was taken round it by a senior French civil servant in one continuous drift in his rally car - nothing ever has impressed me as much.

[ame=http://youtu.be/_BP_2t85soM]Paris - Kreisverkehr am Place de l`Etoile mit Blick vom Triumphbogen/Arc de Triomphe - YouTube[/ame]

Below is Google's aerial view of the whole of the Place with its twelve roads.

Attached Files:

18. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Well, yeah, but that's France.

;)

(sorry, had to be said)

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I like roundabouts & they work well for the intelligent human. Trouble is they seem to be rare in these parts. It is not uncommon for some dolt to stop in the roundabout because they are confused. :crazy:

20. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    In the US we call round roundabouts NASCAR. :lol:

If I come across a roundabouts I tend to drive through the middle, its much faster because everyone stops and thinks I am nuts, which I am. :popcorn::Thumbsup: