How do I View Posts in Reverse Chronological Order

Discussion in '"How Do I"' started by Gil-galad, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    That is, I'd like to see the most recent post in every opened thread at the top of the page, with the original post at the end. Can't find the setting to do this.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    + one! I think this will help mitigate some confusion this old fart has.

3. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Ok - so you are talking about when you are in the thread itself? For example, when you click on this thread.. my post here would be at the top with the oldest post at the bottom? (Reading it in reverse order). Is that correct or are you wanting that at the forum level?

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    You are correct Sully. I'd prefer the newest post to always appear at the top of the thread (oldest at the bottom) and that this be the default for all threads that I view. Having it as a selectable option to accommodate other member preferences, not just mine, would be ideal.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think this is already doable (and the default) at the forum level.

Thanks!

5. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Quick update:

I’ve been looking into this. This was a common feature in the old platform. On the new one it was designed to take you automatically to the first post you have not read in the forum.. then you would read down from there. Out of the box, there isn’t a way to have the “messages” in a thread set to reverse order. I did find some add-on’s that did this but many have not been updated in a long time. So I’m still researching different ways to do this. I will also build a “how do I” regarding how the system was “intended” to be used so we all know the different options (I’m still learning them).