2nd Gen R55 Clubman VIN Question

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by HiFi Guy, Sep 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    #1 HiFi Guy, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    Hi All,

Years ago I worked for VW in sales and finance. I was taught that one could determine country of origin on a vehicle by the first digit of the VIN. For example:

3=Mexico
    9=Brazil
    K=Korea
    G= Great Britain (pre 1980 before 17 digit VIN numbers)
    S= Great Britain (1980-present)
    Y= Sweden
    W=Germany

My VW Corrado SLC was built in Germany. First digit was W, as were both of my BMW 3 series coupes. I sold lots of Mexican built Jettas, and the VIN started with a 3. The window sticker (formally called a Monroney sticker) of my Clubman says final assembly was in Great Britain, yet the first digit of the VIN is a W, indicating it was assembled in Germany.

The other Mini in the family (2011 S Hatch) says the same thing on the sticker, yet the VIN starts with an S, which is what I would expect.

How can this be? Were any Minis actually built at the BMW factory in Germany?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    BMW owns Mini.....:aureola:

3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I was aware of that. What I'm trying to figure is where my car was really built.

From the VIN, I would expect the sticker to indicate final assembly in Germany. The sticker says Great Britain. The sticker is at odds with the VIN, hence the reason for my question. I am wondering if my car came from the Mini factory in the U.K. or if it was built at the BMW factory in Germany.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Interesting question. Along the same lines since the Countryman is build under contract by Magna-Styer in Austria you would expect a VIN to start with VA to VE since that is the code for Austria. Yet when I looked at a bunch of Countryman's that are listed for sale on line thy start with a W too. So do Roadsters and Coupes.

I've dropped and email to a contact to see if we can get clarification on this.

5. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Interesting indeed.

Does that mean the Ford/GM/Chryslers that are "built" outside the US are stamped as such or do they still show USA?

6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember all of the codes but 1,2, 3 and 4 are North American built. Say you have a Ford built in Canada, it will start with the number for Canada. Mexican built cars definitely start with 3. I know the Ford thing is right because my ex wife wanted to buy "American" but the car she bought was assembled in Canada. She didn't know about the VIN trick. The window sticker did say Windsor Ontario Canada. The sticker and the VIN agreed as well. She didn't notice Canada on the sticker.

If you have a Japanese car built in Japan, it will start with a J, but if that same model is assembled in the USA, it will start with a 1 2 or 4. I think 1 and 4 are US, and 2 is Canada, but I can't be sure on that.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I just looked at some Fiat 500s on line as the same dealer group that has BMW and Mini in town also has Fiat. That automotive group always puts the VIN online. Fiat 500s are assembled in Mexico and the VIN still starts with a 3, so nothing has changed there since I left the car business.

9. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Did you ever hear back from your contact?