2nd Gen R56 Cooper S W.W.J.C.D. ??

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Twistee, Jul 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Twistee

Twistee New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Very excited that I am buying another MINI!
    Found a great deal on a 07 MCS with low miles, trading an 03 with high miles.

My question is more philosophical than mechanical, like a W.W.J.C.D. type question.

The car was spec'd by the previous owner with JCW tuning kit, JCW wheels, JCW exhaust tips, and has the John CooperWorks grille badge.

Because the car is not the full-boat JCW version, just has some JCW stuff, does having the grille badge make me look like a poser?

Not that I have anything against posers, I sometimes wear an AMG ball cap, though I've never owned a Benz, got some of them sexy Ferrarri sunglasses too.... I digress... I just want to weigh my options.

I could be conservative and humble and remove the grille badge, or I could go full-out mad poser and also paint my callipers red.

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I could be wrong, but I thought when you had a JCW Stage One added you were entitled to the grill badge. Isn't the JCW tune close to the same thing?

Jim

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah..... But all the letters need to be lower case.... jcw

Seriously... I think you are fine...:D

4. Twistee

Twistee New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, I'm unclear on the whole JCW tune thing. I've been told that it's just software, no difference in parts or mechanical adjustments. Also unclear about the exhaust, if it's just tips or what... see I havn't driven or even seen it in person yet. Its a Carmax car, being shipped from out of state.

I know it has the real JCW tune kit, seen photos of the number plate, just dont know specifically what stage one should include. Should I expect a different exhaust note from what I'm used to on my stock 03 MCS??

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Jay. Great to see ya posting. How's the pup and the Mrs?

I'd ask Carmax for the last 7 characters of the VIN and then ring up 800-ASK-MINI. Mention you are looking to purchase the car and ask for the following.

In service date
    Selling dealer
    Service history
    Any outstanding recalls
    Equipment / Options

You may need to use a bit of the twistee charm to get all the answers.

6. Twistee

Twistee New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Gracias Gnatster, all is well in Twisteeville.

Good info, I'll ring them directly.

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: HMMMM...........W.W.J.C.D......?????? What Would Jesus Christ Do?:Thumbsup:

Jason

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Or in this case...

John Cooper

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Thanks Nathan:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I thought it stood for What Would Jeremy Clarkson Do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    :p:p:p

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I think you reading into it too much, remember before the official JCW model was introduced, you ordered an S and ordered the factory JCW kit, making it a JCW :) it's what makes you happy, not anyone else.

Cheers

13. Twistee

Twistee New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks awfully for the guidance, I've resolved to leave the badge in place with a smug sense of justification. :p

Though this is not my first MINI, I am feeling much of the same impatience and apprehension as when I was on the waiting list for my '03 R53.

Literally any minute the phone will ring to tell me my R56 has arrived. So here I sit smoking too much and compulsing over stupid things like 'Panic' or 'Eject' for the glove button.... :mad2:

Its coming with the portable nav, which I understand is a rebranded Garmin. As long as the mount is solid I think I will enjoy the portability, and the concept of having a seperate screen. I also like the ability to throw it in the glove if it frustrates me like I have read.

I'd like more general info on the unit, but dont know which Garmin model to referance at their site... help?

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If it is the one MINI started off it is a Garmin 360 or 370 that has been re-branded to have the MINI wings on start-up and a selection of MINIs to choose from as the on screen vehicle. Nothing that can't be done with any off the shelf Garmin and the guidance of the article in the M/A Library on how to add a MINI to your Garmin.

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Nathan's right. I just added the start up splash screen and the MY/B MINI to my new Garmin. Easy as pie.

Jim