Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Want Tighter Suspension? Drop The Unsprung Wt

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Jason Montague, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Margi is an 08 R56 MCS/JCWm with factory 'Sport Suspension' and I wanted the suspension 'jest a tech' tighter. So after considerable research, I settled on dropping the unsprung weight as the best beginning point of tightening the already stepped up factory 'sport suspension'(heavier springs/shocks/and 23.5mm front antisway bar and 18mm rear antisway bar as opposed to standard 22mm/17mm and lighter springs/shocks). The factory 'light weight' aluminum wheels weighed 24lbs each and the run flat tires weighed(ball park) 8lbs each more than nonrunflat tires. So I got OZ Allegerettes(14lbs each) and nonrunflat tires(ball park 8lbs each lighter) and dropped 72lbs of unsprung weight. WOW! It made an incredible difference in acceleration/stopping distance/noise reduction/cornering/tight curves and something often forgotten on MINIs, a real spare tire on board. I kept the factory wheels and the best worn out runflat for a spare that nestles neatly between the rear frame/strut brace and the boot hatch. I know for my spirited street purposes, heavier shocks/springs would be superfluous. With Margi as is,in a tight curve, the tires lose grip before she'll lean:drool:eek6:. I couldn't resist front and rear strut/frame braces but that's another story. As after market is often times cheaper than factory, when the factory springs shocks wear out, then I'll go after market. Only trouble here is that I don't want Margi lowered more than the 8mm that the factory 'sport suspension' already did.:Thumbsup:What do y'all think?

MINIs, aint they great?

Jason

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    sounds like a good deal. I plan on dropping the factory rims and the runflats as well this year to get rid of that same weight