1st Gen R53 Cooper S Warranty Work: new clutch and flywheel?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by lilcoopr, Nov 18, 2009.

1. lilcoopr

lilcoopr New Member

May 5, 2009
    MINI Ambassador and university student
    Toronto, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Everyone!

My 2006 Cooper S (April 06 build) was approved for a new transmission under warranty! I have 65,000 kms (= 40,300 miles). Since the beginning, I've had issue with first gear feeling rough and the need to double clutch sometimes for it to catch. Then it developed into popping out of first gear (dangerous when making a quick left turn without an advanced arrow at an intersection!). Now the rough feeling is at 2nd gear. Because of the documented development of the problem, MINI Canada will replace it under warranty - yay!!

Parts and labour will be covered and I was asked if I want a new clutch and flywheel too... I intend on keeping my MINI past the warranty and I'm even thinking about extended warranty options to protect my baby. They suggest that since the labour will be covered, that I get a few more things replaced while I'm at it, although the parts will be at my cost. I work at the dealership, so I'll receive an employee discount on the parts.

Originally I said let's go for a new OEM clutch. Now they asked about the flywheel too. What do you guys think? I've had the "chewbacca" sound maybe 5-7 times in total in the mornings when she is cold and from previous reading that was determined to be the flywheel - I think?? Mine is not making enough noise for me to worry about that chewbacc problem but while I'm at it, should I just replace the flywheel? What else should I replace? I don't really know what else is in that area that would require expensive labour charges for replacement outside of warranty (maybe there are other parts that will wear out soon?).:nonod::confused5:

Your input will be so appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! :D

An additional point: I basically learned how to drive a manual transmission on my MINI. The techs told me that the problems with the gearbox are unrelated to that and my clutch feels fine (I picked it up very fast thank goodness!). Not sure if this helps with your response!

2. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'd do it, maybe go for an upgrade if that's to your tastes, just because, although I'd bet you're only maybe halfway through your stock clutch.

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    If you have the money and plan to keep the car I'd do it. Much cheaper to do now than when they fail in the future and maybe your not with the dealership

4. lilcoopr

lilcoopr New Member

May 5, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean upgrade to non-OEM parts?

Flywheel and clutch? Are they normally replaced at the same time?

The parts dept gave me a price on the clutch... $180 CDN I think. Do you think that's the whole assembly or just the plate? I don't know the price of the flywheel... looking at aftermarket ones online it looks very pricey :(

5. lilcoopr

lilcoopr New Member

May 5, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good point! I am in my last year of university and who knows what the future will hold for me later on! Is this a good excuse for me to go on a MINI parts/accessories shopping spree? ;)

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Who says you need an excuse? :D

7. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Everything's a good excuse for buying MINI parts.
    I was referring to an aftermarket flywheel or clutch, depending on your tastes, you seem happy with the stock clutch but maybe a lighter flywheel would be something you'd like, or at least a non-dual-mass one. Usually the flywheel doesn't need to be replaced unless the clutch has marred it in some way (I did this on my Plymouth when the clutch just disintegrated after being saturated with trans-fluid). I know personally I'll upgrade to a lighter flywheel when it comes time to do the clutch on my car.