Watch collection

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nabeshin, Sep 28, 2009.

1. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody collect watches? I have a few, nothing really expensive or super rare.

DCP_0433.jpg

Stopwatches and pocket watch, from left down:
    A Heuer single button, Swiss 7 jewel 30 minute stopwatch - I picked this up at a garage sale for $10. This stopwatch was made before the company became TAG-Heuer in 1985.

A Hanhart two button, German 7 jewel 60 minute stopwatch. I bought this stopwatch new a few years back. I just have a fascination with fine mechanical instruments. I used this watch during my photography class to time the various chemical processes.

Colibri quartz pocket watch, Japan movement. I have had this pocket watch for a while. It is nothing special, the battery is dead. The thing looks more expensive than it appears to be.

Wrist watches from left:
    First is a '99 Swatch Irony aluminum, quartz, Swiss movement, calender date display, three button chronometer functions: 60 minutes, 1/10th seconds, start, stop, pause for recording while still keeping time then resume - I have owned this watch since '99 and have pretty much worn it every day since.

Then there is my MINI tachometer style watch, quartz, production date unknown, movement unknown, unique hour/minute display - this watch was a holiday gift from my mother, it is hard to read and uncomfortable to wear, so it is mainly a collector's piece.

Next up is a 1970's Omega DeVille, automatic movement, calender date display, sweeping seconds hand, lever-lock escapement, stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, further details unknown - this watch was my grandfather's and it is personally engraved to him from the bank he worked for dated 2-18-76. When I inherited the watch, the band was missing, so I bought a classic black leather band for it. He wore the watch nearly every day until his death in '91. The watch is worn, but in great shape. The sapphire crystal is barely scratched but is has several chips on the edge.

Next is a Timex Expedition, digital watch with timer, alarm, stopwatch functions - this is my work outside/work on the car watch. The leather band used to be tan but has darkened with age.

Finally is my Sleeptracker Pro. It has all the functions of my Timex Expedition, but this thing can track sleep cycles and wake you up within a user specified window at your light-sleep/near waking moments. This watch ensured I woke up for class on time.

I am currently saving up for an Omega Speedmaster Professional. I have wanted one of those for years, ever since reading about them in various NASA historical books as a kid. After doing more research on the watch later on, I only became more impressed with it. I actually had bought a replica Speedmaster that looked pretty good - I have seen and held a real one at the jewel shop near here. It even fooled a pawn shop owner whom I then helped by pointing out the differences with a real one. But the replica's band was not the best. After a motorcycle crash the thing broke. As I made my escape it fell off - unbeknown to me. I didn't want a ticket for crashing my brother's scooter to affect my car insurance(license points).

Questions? Comments? Do you have your own collection or a watch with a good story? Post them up.

2. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #2 nabeshin, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    I have a real time animated Speedmaster Professional running as one of my desktop clocks.

speedmaster.jpg

The chronograph buttons work realistically as do all the dials.

If anyone is interested you can get it here.
    http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=303#

The thing is under 'see it in real time'

Omega's website also has a cool animated interactive 3D view of the watch, and a 'product presentation' about some history on the Speedmaster Professional.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Like that animation, very cool, and a classy looking watch as well.

My wife collected watches. Well...that was really more accumulation than collection, and everything was chosen for aesthetics...or whim...I think mostly the latter.

My "collection" consists of one watch that I've worn for 20 years. It's an old Casio World Time TS-100 [815] (like so) and I love it. I'm apparently not the only one because I had the battery replaced at a jewelry store recently and was offered three times what I paid two decades ago. Turns out it's a collector's item.

I still can't figure out why I've only needed to replace the battery once so far (knocks on skull). This model isn't solar and doesn't use an expensive, long-life battery, so it's a mystery to me...but I'm not complaining.

4. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That Casio looks pretty cool with all its features. Feel lucky with that battery life. I've had to replace the battery on my Swatch every year. It doesn't stop outright, but it starts to loose time.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Watches are a weakness for me, but my tastes far outstrip my wallet.

My pride and joy right now is a Breitling Avenger with a blue face.

In a drawer there is a collection of TAG-Heuer's from the 80's and 90's

I also have a pocketwatch I know little about that was a great grandfathers. I was told it was made in the 1890's. One day I'll take it in to be appraised and see what it will take to get it running again.

Then there is a Rolex Submariner circa 1970's my dad left me.

What I really want is a Rolex Daytona from the 80's, ahh one day.

6. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I used to collect bikes, but then I ran out of money :aureola:

I remember the best quote for how many bikes is enough? The answer is "N+1" where "N" is what you currently own. Same equation applies to anything you collect :D

Hey for those of you with an eye for nice stuff, I have a carbon fibre Alfred Dunhill ball point pen I'm selling. If Nathan would make a classified section for non-MINI related stuff, I'd post it there.

[​IMG]

(Sorry for temporarily hyjacking this thread, we now return you to your normal program)

7. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That is a nice watch.

[​IMG]

My mother has several really old pocket watches. I'll have to ask her sometime if I can take them to a watch shop for evaluation.

Sentimental watches are usually the crown jewel in any collection.