Way Motor Works is HERE

Discussion in 'Minis In The Mountains 2010 (August 12 - 15, 2010)' started by Way Motor Works, Aug 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Alright guys hurry up I need some MINI's to mod.:D

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hey Way, while you're waiting, a couple of us were wondering about caliper rebuild kits for the TSW/Outlaw BBK calipers. Do you have any in stock back at the shop, and can you offer any tips for a DIY caliper rebuild? I think we've identified the 1.38" square cut o-rings, but sourcing them on the internet is difficult.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Ditto. I've found a couple of sources on the internet, but they're not people I've ever bought from before.

There are also o-rings for the crossfeeder thing, but it looks like most people leave that alone unless it's not working properly. So it doesn't look like we need those.

I'm tempted to replace the upper bleeder screws though; they aren't that expensive, and they get a bunch of use.

And lastly: Are you going to stock the Raybestos ST43 pads for the BDM? I'm debating going back to them, as I'm going through Carbotechs at an alarming rate....

4. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the thread jack, Way.

Ditto for thoughts on the crossfeed seal.

I'm not going to mess with the bleed screws. When new it looked like there was some sort of thread sealant or thread tape, and I'm not sure I can reproduce that.

I'm definitely going back to the ST43's on my MDM kit. Yeah, I know, it's probably undersized for aggressive track use, but I was in need and I got a good deal. Blowing through XP-12's is fun, but I'd rather use all the prize money I win at HPDE's (read:$0) on ST43's.

My other issue with CT pads is that they're such a pure ceramic pad, once you reach the temperature limit, they're toast for the day. With the ST43's, I can take a slower lap, or even just a slower straightaway, and they'll come back in the session.

The downside is the increased rotor wear with the ST43s. I don't have a set of the treated rotors, and I'll have to see if Way carries that option over.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

The thing about the bleed screws is I THINK they come with the thread tape already on them--at least they did in the picture I saw (and they were still in the original unopened package).

So it looks like we're equal in cash winnings to date...:D At least our cars are in one piece, there's something to be said for that.

I'm going to rebuild the calipers and give the carbotech's one more shot. The one nice thing is the rotors look fantastic. They'll definitely make it through the whole year, which is better than last year (despite fewer track days last year); not a even a hint of a microcrack yet, and no grooves at all. But I don't know how much is due to the pads, the air ducts (put on this year), or the treated rotors. I figure my very last track session of the year I'll scrub the rotors and give the Raybestos pads another try. Those pads lasted longer, and they're quite a bit cheaper, but I do think they're tougher on the rotors. But maybe with the ducts and the treated rotors, I can last a full year.

One thing I don't like about the CT's is I definitely have to extend the braking zone by the end of the day, probably due to what you're describing.

I'll definitely stick with the treated rotors if Way has them available. Maybe it's voodoo, but the rotors look so much better than last year, I'll pay the extra 30 bucks. One thing I'm worried about is these are supposed to be 1.25 x 11.75 Coleman rotors--and they're not listed on the Coleman website. I'd order them from Way anyway, but I hope they're still in production. And there is no mention of treating rotors on the Coleman website--I wonder if the TSW guys had that done elsewhere. Just hope it's still available, because it appears to be voodoo that works.

6. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    voodoo = :Thumbsup::Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

gotta get me a set of those for next season. I'm hoping my current rotors will last one more weekend in early October. (hint hint, Way!)