Wednesday Caravan to Avon

Discussion in 'Minis in the Mountains (August 7 - 11, 2013) - Avo' started by zinvestor, Jun 29, 2013.

1. zinvestor

zinvestor Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Mfg Systems Consultant
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Looking for a fun, scenic drive from the Denver area to Avon on Wednesday, 8/7 for MITM? Want to cover the Western Dragon (Squaw Pass), Loveland Pass, lunch in Frisco, Leadville and Minturn?

There are several parking lots at I-70 Exit 259 just west of Denver. I’m planning to be there by 9:30 Wednesday morning, meet anyone who wants to join, have a brief driver’s meeting at 9:50 and depart at 10:00. With a 20 minute stop at Loveland Pass, an hour and a half for lunch and shopping in Frisco and maybe a 20 minute stop in Leadville, I expect to arrive at Christie Lodge in Avon at about 4:15 p.m., in time to get checked in and get to the Brew Swap!. For those wanting to get to the vendor setup event, join us through the lunch stop and then just keep going west on I-70 when we turn off at Copper Mountain to take the Leadville/Minturn segment. That should get you to Christie Lodge around 2:00 p.m.

Not being a local (I’m from suburban Chicago), I welcome input regarding the best of the lots to start from and any other suggestions for this trip. From Google Maps there appear to be small lots south of I-70 and north of I-70 and a HUGE lot north of I-70 by the Conoco station.

Attached Files:

2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    As we get closer, perhaps we can join up for the drive up at least part way. :)

Sounds like a plan, bring good beer. :) :)

Don

3. zinvestor

zinvestor Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Mfg Systems Consultant
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    A garmin gpx file is available for this route. Anyone interested PM me