1st Gen R53 Cooper S Weird chink noise in the front

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by jeffster06, Aug 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    So for the longest time I've noticed I have a weird chink noise in the front end whenever I hit abrupt bumps.I can best describe it as sounding similar to slapping two quarters together. I know the control arm bushings and the swaybar bushings are fine as I changed them back in February to the powerflex ones. The car doesn't drive funny at all feels very smooth during hard cornering unless there's fast bumps (to be expected though bumps seem to throw MINI's around) Should I be concerned with this noise? or is this a sign of something going bad?

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Look at the strut tops. Could be they are coming apart. Easy to see from the inside of the bonnet.

3. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Those are good too... I recently had a failed attempt at installing some M7 coilovers (tires were scrubbing) the strut tops looked perfect. The noise was there before I played with the struts so reassembly shouldn't be an issue here either. I had a similar noise on one of my 240's before it ended up being the sway bar end links but the ones on the MINI look fine.

oh and I thought of another way to describe the noise its almost like a loose bolt with a washer on it sound. I have been chasing this for some time now. Finally decided to see if anyone else has had similar noises.

4. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    drop any tools in there? I've lost various screws, nuts, washers, driver bits into the engine bay that never hit the ground. :rolleyes5:

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I had a loose swaybar endlink that sounded like that.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

7. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I had a similar, hard -to -identify metallic sound from the front end, and after replacing control arm bushings, sway bar mount bushings, etc... it finally went away after getting one of the half-axles replaced... (!!!) at least it was under warranty.

A less terrifying, but more likely culprit is a failed main engine mount... Look for black goo on the frame near the mount... This was a huge problem with later years of 1st Gen MINIs...

_Dave_

8. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Engine mounts are definitely good I changed them last week my upper spewed it's guts. The axels appeared to be in good shape earlier this year when I changed my clutch... I should have mentioned I've had the car borderline completely disassembled this past year. The noise was there in the beginning and still persists now. But the only time I really hear it is pulling into the drive way, there's a 2 inch or so lip where the concrete meets the asphalt and depending how fast I pull in determines if it makes a sound or not.

I'll be doing my oil change this weekend I might try to check the sway bar endlinks again. I'll also take a closer look at the axels. Keep the ideas coming though.

9. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Another item to check, since you had the struts off. Make sure the top shock nut actually tightened all the way down. I had a nut bind up a little bit on a thread so it torqued correctly but was not all the way down. This allowed the spring to move a little on bumps. Mine was loose enough that I could grab the spring and push/pull the spring to duplicate the noise.

10. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Well I found the source of the noise I've been hearing. It was actually a completely unlikely suspect... It's my front bumper. While doing my oil change I decided lets hit the wheels and see if I can replicate the sound and I did. It wasn't till I moved to the driver side that I noticed the sound coming from the bumper. If I push on the bumper and hit the wheel I wasn't able to get any sound. Guess I'll be looking that over when I play with my lower grill again must have a loose bolt or something in there.

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Glad you have narrowed it down. Finding odd sounds can be maddening. :mad2:

12. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I'm just happy that it wasn't anything more serious I already have enough NVH from my engine mounts whats a little bumper noise lol

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes at least it is an inexpensive squeaker. :Thumbsup:

14. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    or maybe a cha chinger after all it sounds like change smacking together... It's my MINI's way of letting me know its raping my wallet if I like it or not lol.