1st Gen R53 Cooper S What am I smelling when I stomp on the gas?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by fishmonger, Sep 25, 2015.

1. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed that whenever I drive the car hard, especially with higher boost and temps, shifting a few times at higher RPMs, I get this smell in the cabin that is a mix of exhaust fume and maybe burnt oil. I've seen other threads about this, so I am pretty sure it's normal.

What I don' get - how does it get into the cabin so fast? windows closed, I am going through two or three gears with over 4000rpm shift points, and bingo, there's that smell. It can't be the exhaust unless the R53 sucks in burnt exhaust all the time trying to kill me. It clearly doesn't.

Is it something that burns off on the outside of the motor/headers? again, how does it get into the cabin so fast? Out the top of the hood and into the air intakes for the cabin?

some say, you just need to drive hard all the time and the smell will go away, but I don't think that is a valid solution.

I've seen "oil catch can" as a solution, but I am not convinced that anything happening inside the intake/exhaust system actually emits that smell. It would come out the back of the car, wouldn't it?

Any insights? I know the car isn't broken. It runs rich, there's oil in the intercooler and it gets hot, etc - but why does the smell penetrate the car so quickly in the first place?

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Car farts?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,659 / 2 / -0
    What did you eat for lunch...

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It's probably coming in from the engine compartment and through the cabin filter... Check the rubber seals at the top of the firewall....

Check seal #10...

[​IMG]

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 5.43.17 PM.jpg

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    You're smelling all that fossil fuel we so love to burn. Nothing smells finer, well except smoke!

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Did'ja check yer shoes fer dog poo?

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,886 / 10 / -3
    I have the same problem, good luck trying to find it. I Have changed my belt, tensioner, Idler pulley and put a ATI crank pulley on my car, no help. Then I have tried putting new boots around the intercooler, no help. Mine is so bad I passed my son when he was in his Mustang, I was at full boost. He called and said "dad your car stinks".
    I can't find it to save my life.
    How many miles do you have on you car?

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,659 / 2 / -0
    This won't help, but my R53 never smelled like at in all its 126,000 miles I drove it. I think Metalman may be on to something.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,886 / 10 / -3
    Well he could be but why does it smell bad enough that people you pass smell it? I have 136,000 on my Mini. I was thinking maybe it was a bad PVC or old oil vapor build up in the intake that is now getting burned. But Crashton if yours never smelled then that may not be it. Did you have a pulley on your R53.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking crank damper pulley is failing, if you're still on the original OEM pulley.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,886 / 10 / -3
    fishmonger may still have the OEM pulley but I went to an ATI. I though the same thing.

12. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Actually, I think what fishmonger is smelling has NOTHING to do with his car, but more to do with what he had to eat and the after effect it caused from "stomping on the accelerator"! :ihih:

13. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Need a new catalytic converter? Could have **** it self depending on age and mileage I think there good for 100k when the car is stock

14. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0

ah yes, every time my Mini does some weird stuff no other car does, I am told my damper is probably failing. When the engine cuts out completely without engine code on a long uphill mountain road, I am told I am screwed and it must be the damper self destructing. Now I smell combusted dinosaur juice in the cabin and it is could be the engine damper failing...

Can you even remotely explain what the damper has to do with the smell in my cabin after a brief pull to maybe just 3500rpm?

I've thrown $400 at the damper failure risk and put an ATE damper in there this summer, only to remove a perfectly fine OEM damper. The car smelled like this before the damper change, before several oil leak fixes, before new belts and tensioner, although that lasts bit probably is responsible for the lack of burnt rubber that used to be mixed in with the smell.

The car runs fine. The seals on the SC are fine, or at least I can attest there's full boost at full throttle (15 PSI). It stinks even on just 2 or 3 pounds of boost. I am not really asking how to keep the smell from coming into the cabin by sealing the hood. I know it is bent up slightly higher now by the M7 strut bar, so I guess that's why it is more noticeable than it was in the past.

The question is - what on earth is causing this? I want to exterminate the source of this. It does smell mostly like an exhaust leak under the hood, but it doesn't sound like I have that issue, plus I'd smell it all the time if it was a leak in the exhaust system.

My best guess is that there's some EGR fumes mixed into the SC pressurized part of the system and it leaks slightly under pressure, doesn't leak in normal driving, as then the intake runs a vacuum and everything gets sucked into the engine.

So where can it leak post super charger? The IC boots seem fine, but I can throw more money at the car and replace those, too. What about that bypass valve area - it does have some rubber parts to it that may not be sealed perfectly? Going to yank the SC this winter for another oil change, so I'll just replace all that stuff, too :). That's been pretty much my mode of maintenance with this Mini: anything that has failed on other cars, just replace. Am I forgetting a soft spot in the pressure segment of the SC system that could leak?

Regarding keeping the smell out - I've soaked the hood liner material around the M7 bars the day I installed and then many more times, but the hood is still up a little in the center. I am thinking it may be time for a knife to be asked for some more aggressive assistance with the hood liner to get that hood back to a proper seal, but I did smell this stuff before the M7, just not s bad as now.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,886 / 10 / -3
    #15 MCS02, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    If the OEM damper is bad the rubber alowes the outer metal part of the pulley and inner part of the pulley to slip causing a burning rubber smell.
    I have done all the same stuff you have done with very little change.
    The other day I did find a leak at my resonator and had a muffler shop fix it, it is a temp art fix. After this was done the smell was greatly reduced. I believe walshe_ian may be right about the cat. I am going to replace mine when I do the exhaust.

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    There's no such thing. They are ALL doomed to fail, eventually. You're welcome, for the advice to replace yours before a catastrophic failure like many of us have had.

But sorry that didn't fix whatever problem you were having then or now. Wish I was there to smell it / help you diagnose it.

Smells like exhaust you say? See, my exhaust on my car has never really had a "smell", except at start-up when it runs rich and smells like fuel.... my car has had MASSIVE exhaust leaks at various times, and they've never really "smelled" like anything...

So I'm not sure what you're smelling. Possibly the car is pulling more crankcase vapor and burning more oil when under boost... but I've never noticed a smell from that, either...

17. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I have 43k on my '05 and have never had the smell your describing hard running or not. When I run hard the exhaust can smell. But I don't smell it in the car. If a dampener going smells like burning rubber then that is completely different from what you describe.

My only thought would be a small oil leak. Something expands when it get good and hot letting out a little oil. That gets on something hotter and burns. I would check for oil around the back side of the valve cover or the oil filter. Or maybe even some PS fluid leaking and getting on the exhaust. I leak from the coolant bottle burning would smell sweet. Just a few ideas.

The only thing a catch can does in 1st gen is to keep the inter cooler inside clean.

As for the richness. I asked Jan to lean mine out at lower revs and lower boost levels when he did the tune. The result is better around town and highway mpg by about 2.

18. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was something like burnt oil. Unlikely now, because after 2000 miles since fixing every oil leakI could locate, the engine is still shiny clean and there's really no oil anywhere on the outside of it. New valve cover gasket, O-rings on dip stick and CPS sensor are still holding, new crank seal on the damper side. No leaks visible.

The smell - how to describe?

It certainly isn't rubber, nor clutch/burnt slipping smell. It is like really bad exhaust pre-cat lightup, and maybe some burnt oil mixed into it. The car does not smell like that out the tailpipe. It is a little more on the burnt side, so oil is probably involved, but none of that oil is external on the engine block, nor would I think oil burns of so quickly in response to higher boost, but never when just cruising along. There's no oil leak around the exhaust ports that I can spot. Valve cover gasket was replaced in June.

Searching around, it appears many others have noticed this smell, but no real answer as to origin. Over at NAM there are a number of older threads about this. No answers, though.

Looks like I'll just address it over the winter - new gaskets everywhere, replace most of the exhaust system if the budget allows. Also, it isn't the end of the world. The car runs fine. Smells a little. I've had motorcycles with everything vented to the outside air and they were worse. In fact, thinking back to what that smell was like, I think the crank case smell from that modified KTM 950 engine was very similar to what I smell now.

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Do you have an oil catch can? You may have a car that simply has a lot of blow-by.

20. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I do not, nor was there a lot of oil in the intercooler when I removed it.

Even if there is oil going through the intake, it does not explain where the smell escapes from what is a pressurized and supposedly closed system.

I'll have a look at the EGR routings on the car. Maybe just a bad hose connection somewhere that blows by under boost. A catch can will be last resort, as I don't think the oil going back in harms the engine. Not one of the must do mods and many have reversed back to not using one due to vacuum issues. It's more of an R56 thing to keep the valves clean.