1st Gen R53 Cooper S What is your suspension setup?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by panaphobic, Aug 11, 2010.

1. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I am looking for a new suspension setup and was wondering what everyone is running out there.

Let me know the setups you're running and how it handles. Also let me know if it's a track only MINI or a daily driver. And let me know how long you've had the setup for (some companies have improved upon older models and might be better now). I'm looking to replace my stock suspension with a coilover system that will be a daily driver along with auto-xing next year. I just want to get an idea on what setups everyone is using and how they like it. I have an '05 MCS (R53).

Here's what I want to know:

1. Model Year
    2. MC/MCS/JCW
    3. Tracked/Daily Driver/Both
    4. Suspension Setup
    5. Linear/Progressive Spring (and spring rates for front and rear)
    6. Monotube/Twintube
    7. Ease of Rebuild (if you can rebuild it)
    8. Is the ride height adjustable from the lower strut mount?
    9. Price
    10. How long have you been using this setup for?
    11. Feedback (the good, the bad, and the ugly!)
    12. Pic of your setup on your MINI!

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Have you tried using the Garage feature here.....?

Works great for this type of thing.

3. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I did but I also want to know the feedback on it. Maybe if I get enough people leaving the feedback on what they use, we could get a nice thread going about what everyone likes and what might be a better suit for them. The feedback is the one thing that is hard to find about a particular setup.

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    OK, nothing fancy here but 06 MCS JCW, with JCW suspension matched to build, Hotchkis Sport adjustable links on lower rear. The JCW drops about 50mm which is fine for me as any more I would not be able to get out of the driveway. Daily driver from April til first salting of roads and autocross also. I think it was like 650 from MINI of Morristown when I bought it like two years ago and I installed it myself. The ride is tight but not too harsh.

Like I said, nothing fancy but just right for me. Photo's are in my garage.

Cheers
    Mr. Jim

5. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mr. Jim! I really appreciate the input!

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #6 Nitrominis, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #7 Nitrominis, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    Megan with Ebach springs. The set up is very steering sensitive. I do not track just play. Not sure how much I have in the set up. I can not lower as much as would like to for show but they do well for realistic driving habits which is mostly in my "DRIVEWAY"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Bilstein PSS9 on '06 JCW. Hotchkins lower control arms. Powerflex control arm bushings. IE adjustable camber plates. Daily driver with past AutoX use and an occasional track use (3-4 times a year).

Not lowered as much as it used to be due to driveway clearance issues. Can't beat Bilstein for quality. More expensive then some other stuff out there, but you get what you pay for. You can probably get coilovers with more adjustability settings, but unless you are a serious track rat that has the inclination, the knowledge and the resources to utilize all the settings as they fit various tracks, I say 9 adjustments are plenty for most weekend warriors. I personally use one setting for the street and another one for the track. That's 2 of 9 that get used.

9. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thank you guys! This is the kind of information I was looking for! Any of you experience any kind of issues with your setups? Like an issue with the install or something you wish it would do better? Every setup will have up's and down's of course, I'm just looking to balance them out the best I can. Again, thank you for the information and let's keep it coming!!!

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Shop:
    What you are realistically going to do with your MINI
    Your experience level if you are going to be doing the install
    Your allowance on what you want to spend for the project

The opinions are all over the place and unfortunately most have only the stock and the one suspension system change to compare so information can be vague and not so multiple component experienced accurate.
    It might behoove you to find a MINI in your area that has suspension upgrades and see if you can hitch a ride or even better a drive to form some basic idea of choices.

11. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    If your going to track, you might drop Mrsideways a PM and get his advice, with multiple Prosolo, NASA, etc national championships his advice is about as good as it gets! ;) 2cents

12. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Nitromini, you do make a good point. All though I might only be getting opinions that are 1 sided, I just want to get an idea about what people are using and how they like their setup. I value opinions greatly, unless they haven't tried it before. And money really isnt a huge issue and I don't plan to make my MINI a track only car so I don't need to buy anything too crazy. I just want all the options I can have.

As for hitching a ride in a MINI and seeing how it is, if there's anyone in the north of Boston / southern NH area willing to let me hitch a ride, let me know!

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    panaphobic you state that this will be a track MINI than you might go to the sponsor section and contact some fo the vendors that have track only MINI as well as offer great choices in suspension upgrades.
    And now that you have narrowed your usage to track the responses will be more in line with that rather then general application.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vendor/list-by-alpha

14. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    #14 CarlB, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    I have a 06 JCW I got to auto-cross. I do drive the car on the street as well, but I have a truck for bad weather, and when I think something might damage the MINI. I like my doors and do not want them dented at the mall. I have the following changes:
    1. TSW tuned KW –V3s with 400 LBs springs
    2. Lower control arm poly bushings
    3. Fixed camber plates
    4. MiniMania lowering spacers for the bottom of the ball joints
    5. TSW chassis brace
    6. TSW rear bar
    7. I made my own sway bar end links and rear trailing arms.
    8. TSW engine mount
    I am very happy with the results. I do not believe that the stiff springs are too harsh for the street. I generally run the shocks in the middle of the range for driving on the street, and turn them up for auto-crossing. With the shocks cranked up it gets much harsher. I used the word harsh for a reason. The springs are obviously much stiffer than stock, and the ride is stiff. However the stock set up uses very high bump rates on the struts. I think my car has a good balance and the springs are very well controlled, without being harsh, by the struts. The handling is OUTSTANDING. I can get the car to do what I want. I am not a good auto-crosser, this is my first year, but I have an extensive background with racing. I use to have a business where I prepared cars for SCCA racing. We were Zink dealers. You ask about adjustability of the coil overs other than by moving the spring perch. I believe Cross is the only one that does that, but one of the reasons I bought KWs is they attach to the spindle with the maximum amount of the strut sticking out the bottom to allow for as long a strut as possible. KWs are also twin tube as opposed to monotube or gas shocks. Twin tube shocks have more travel than monotube shocks for a given length. All this adds up to more travel, and MINIs do not have enough. You wind up with a lowered car and still have stock travel. A disadvantage to my setup is wheel spacers. On some of the coil overs and the stock setup the spring does not extend below the tread area of the tire. I believe the BC coil overs use barrel shaped springs to keep the springs from coil binding because the spring is so short. On my KWs the spring perch extends down and is along the sidewall of the tire. Without spacers it would hit. I believe I will get 37 MM offset wheels to correct the problem. Pick your poison, long springs do not coil bind, and let you lower the car, but require wheel spacers. Coil overs with the springs above the tire have limited travel and the springs can coil bind. The one area I am not happy about is the car is nosier. The motor mount excites a vibration in the dash board some times, but the biggest issue is the rear trailing arms. At least I believe the rear trailing arms are the source of a droning noise. One of the things I liked best about my MINI was it was quiet. It is not terrible, but I would enjoy the car more if I could get rid of the drone. I plan on getting rid of the rod ends and trying rubber joints.
    You ask for pictures and I would do it if I knew how to attach them.
    Metalman - thank you for the information, but I still do not know how. I do not understand or can not find the BB Code. the picture is in my garage. I do not have good pictures of the rear.

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  16. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I think you might have misunderstood me, Nitrominis. I don't plan to make my MINI a track only car. :beer

I just mainly will be getting something I can use on and off the track. Right now my MINI is my daily driver, and most likely will be for another couple of years. When it does come down to tracking the MINI, I will definitely follow your advise to check out the sponsor list and see what they have! :Thumbsup:

17. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    1. 2008
    2. MC Clubman (R55)
    3. Daily Driver
    4. Custom Bilsteins, custom pillowball mounts front and rear
    5. No springs, just airbags, 40psi up front 70psi in the rear.
    6. Monotube (Inverse and shortened)
    7. Ease of Rebuild: Easy as sending them back to bilstein or race shop.
    8. Ride height is adjustable from the driver's cockpit at the flick of a switch
    9. Price: No idea...
    10. How long have you been using this setup for? 2 Years
    11. Feedback (the good, the bad, and the ugly!): Absolutely love the comfort and drop. Ugly is the amount of "upkeep" that goes into ensure that it works well and stays in good shape. My favorite suspension setup after 4 or 5 different MINI suspensions over the years. Improved amount of travel so no more bumpstops or bottoming out, unlike the coilovers and konis I've used.
    12. Pic of your setup on your MINI!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

19. panaphobic