Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Wheel and tire report.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by pmsummer, Jul 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    As it was becoming time to replace the 205-45/17 Dunlop RFTs on my car, I came across a deal I "couldn't" pass up: a NOS set of JCW R105s with Pirelli P-Zero RFTs, but in the 205-40/18 size, for just a few more Benjamins than a new set of suitable tires alone (I got cold feet and tried to sell them before I mounted them on the car, but alas...). I had fears of the 18" wheels... and of the summer max-p tires for everyday use.

[​IMG]
    BEFORE

[​IMG]
    AFTER

WHEELS: I love the look of the R105s, and compared to the R98s that came on the MINI, the ease of keeping them clean. The R105s have none of the fiddly nook and cranny dust catchers of the otherwise handsome R98s (I'm a sucker for the look of two-piece construction). Bright face, black-painted interior.

I did not install the turning-stoppers MINI recommends/demands for the 18" wheels. No issues.

TIRES: The shorter sidewalls do not seem to have a negative impact on ride harshness (compared to the Dunlop RFTs). I haven't crashed into any deep potholes, or taken rail-road crossings at speed, but they generally feel no worse than the 45-series. I did fly over a series cattle-guards the other day, but they were well maintained by Blanco County.

The P-Zeros do handle wonderfully, very stable in the dry (rain? what's rain?), nice confident feel, with no sense of impending break-away (like some other soft-compound performance tires from my past) although I doubt I'll get 35K out of them. They are COMPLETELY devoid of the road-groove-grabbing tendencies of the Dunlops I hated so much. The Pirellis are also noticeably quieter, too.

2. fngolfer

fngolfer Active Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Nice stance either way IMO. Digging the one orange mirror too.

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I like those wheels

4. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    I see you've got a couple of big naval oranges stuck on your R56 too!

:Thumbsup:

5. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Good looking clubby!! Love the R105s.

6. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan