Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Wheel bearing woes

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jeffster06, Jul 22, 2014.

1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    So a couple years ago I bought some Timken wheel bearing from auto zone (3 year warranty plus cheaper than stock) problem is I got about a year and a half out of the driver side one before it failed and a year out of the passenger side, now less than a year later the passenger side has failed again.

I run 15mm spacers on the front, are these bearings failing so soon because my spacers? or because the aftermarket ones aren't as good as the OEM? Luckily I am getting replacements for free but I'm kind of getting sick of changing the things at this point.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    For most things on Minis... OEM parts just last longer.
    I doubt the spacers themselves are the problem... Lots of people run spacers. Are you sure the axles are being torqued to spec when the bearings are replaced? Because that's a bear to do right, and not doing it right leads to premature failure.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #3 Dave.0, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    I have run 16mm and 12mm spacers and do not have any issues.
    My OEM front bearings failed around 50 or 60k so I replaced all (4) of them a few years ago with OEM ones again and have not had any issues.

It's odd for Timken bearings to fail that fast but like BC said above install is everything.

4. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I make sure to torque them properly whatever the Bentley manual told me. Maybe my wrench is off, doubt it would be that off to be way out of spec.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Maybe the wheel hub you installed the bearings into has a problem.
    The OEM ones come as a complete unit already pressed in. All you have to remove is the axel nut and (4) rear bolts to remove once your brakes and rotor are out of the way.

6. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    The Timkens come as a whole hub assembly also. I havent been able to find just the bearings.

Thing is they aren't failing by making the traditional noises. They are failing by becoming loose. If I grab the wheel at 12 and 6 I can push and pull the wheel, it should have no play in that direction. I figured something was wrong when I started hearing popping while braking. my oem ones failed with the whuur whuur whuur sound on the highway.

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    you sure it's the bearings and not the ball joints?

8. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    positive, you can visibly see the rotor moving around, If it were the ball joint the whole steering knuckle would be moving. The last one I changed I could wobble the hub assembly while it was off the car.

9. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    I had the front passenger side one go out on me, or at least that's what the dealership told me. So I bought a new one and got it installed and same thing, replaced with OEM at that. Threw a well worded fit to the manager at the dealership and they agreed to fix it and miraculously after they did it, noise was gone. I still suspect it was something else, and they just didnt tell me what they did. But whatever, I'm happy it was fixed, but I was still out the cash that I spent for the hub assy. Oh well.

10. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Thing is I don't get any noise until I'm almost at a complete stop and have the brakes applied with moderate pressure, even then its like a popping clacking sound/feel (more feel than sound), and it doesn't happen every time. Cruising I don't have any odd noises even driving curvy roads slightly spirited doesn't feel odd or have crazy sounds. Of course after finding the wheel bearing is shot I have been driving like grandma until I get it fixed, new bearing should be here tomorrow. I will see if I can make a video of how the thing wobbles tonight. the driver side went the same way about a month ago, once I swapped it with a new one no more wobble. similarly the passenger side last year after being changed was nice and stiff. I guess its not really the bearing that is the culprit but more the hub assembly as a whole is falling apart.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Timken is known to make good stuff. That being said sadly many makers are having things made off shore for cheap & boxing those parts in their own boxes.

Not sure if the spacers are the cause. Spacers do add extra stress to the bearings. Many folks run them with no problems, but the added stress is there. I'd try going with oem bearings. My oem bearings are at 122,000 miles & still bearing the load. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

eMINIparts.com

12. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I plan on grabbing some OEM ones eventually, money being a little tight I figure I will take advantage of the warranty I have on the current hubs. The rate I'm going I should be able to swap the assembly pretty quick these days. I was just hoping many someone else had has a similar bad experience to compare to.

13. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    jeffster06 PM me the last 7 of the VIN , I can get you a quote on those bearings.

Plus you can use the MA1 discount code for extra savings.

14. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Do this!

This is who I got mine from and the price was awesome for OEM and you get a couple of extra goodies In your package! :Thumbsup: And fast shipping.

15. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Maybe when I get some extra funds I'll get the oem ones again for now I'll get the free one.I did discover something tonight while lending my old axle to a friend the ring popped off the end that connects to the wheel bearing I'm pretty sure the driveshaft shop axles don't have them, I know it's only a dust boot but being metal makes me wonder if it actually contacts the bearing and helps spread the load.[​IMG]

16. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Finished changing the hub, I made a video but it's hard to see it moving but you can hear the clunking I'll try to get it up later. This one was bad enough that it caused the inner brake pad to wear at an angle(slanted like this \ ) seeing I have wilwoods and it's a fixed caliper I'd say my rotor was definitely moving around. Guess I'll be replacing my pads sooner than I thought.

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Wildwoods will taper, the caliper isn't very stiff, especially the older ones. They taper from side edge to side edge, if they tapered from top to bottom like I think you're saying, that definitely is a problem, and the hub is the likely culprit.

With Willwoods it's not a bad idea to periodically flip the outside pad with inside pad to get longer life from the set, once everything else is fixed.

18. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    It was tapered from the top to bottom, The hub has been changed and I no longer hear my odd clunking noise while braking, I still have an annoying creaking/clicking sound braking but I have a different thread on that. I will definitely swap the pads around, I had thought of that before but didn't know if it was a good idea.

19. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Many Timken bearings are made in China now and are not up to their old quality.
    MINI OEM bearings are made by FAG.

Dave