Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Wheel / rim shopping

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by cheezeit, Oct 16, 2010.

1. cheezeit

cheezeit New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    DFW
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so the time has come for me to start looking for new tires. I currently am running 205/45/17 yoko s-drives on r90 rims. I was thinking about powdering coating the permantly black with a red lip. Got in contact with our new powdercoating sponsor, got a quote and started thinking about weight.

I found the r90s roughly weigh ~24lbs...so with paint it should be more right? I am contemplating selling the r90s, although I like how it fits my jcw theme, and find something lighter in a black with red lip. I'm open to either 16 or 17" rim recommendations and tire size. I am probably going up to fill the wheel gap so either 215 45 17 or 235 40 17 (if 17" rim) to make it wider.

I tried tire rack, but they are missing a lot of other brands like tenzo, team dynamic wheel, etc.

So, I'm looking for either 16 or 17 rims, black or black with red lip (as I learned from mini_racer what red tape can do ) I know we have a guy (matt) at discount tire but I don't want to bother him while i'm still just shopping to get an idea of what rim I want. I figured I'd wait until I got some choices and then went to him.

Any suggestions? Trying to get as possible without going over like $200 a rim.

**and I have the JCW big brake**

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Look up...there in the NavBar, you'll see Wheelfinder. Select search, put in a few parameters and go to town.

That can help narrow things down a bit so the world of wheels is not so overwhelming.

3. cheezeit

cheezeit New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    DFW
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yup, saw the wheel finder feature, it really helps see the different styles on different cars. now to find more sites to look at besides tirerack...

4. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    You'd have to drive one seriously competitive race car to worry about the weight of the paint on your wheels :lol:

They're missing brands like Tenzo because they don't carry the low quality import-tuner brands (tenzo, rota, konig, etc.) The best place to find those is among the popular honda and import tuner sites. JLBmotorsports carries a bunch of the lines of cheaper tuner wheels like Rota and Konig. I'm sure a quick google search will bring up the best Tenzo dealer.

You can grab TDR wheels from outmotoring.com: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Painted lip

5. cheezeit

cheezeit New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    DFW
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was just hoping to cut weight off the wheels in general and I figured by powder coating, that that would add more to the already heavy wheels.

Thanks for the outmotoring link of the painted lip! Definately what I was looking for.

6. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    For future searches, the red lip on black wheel is known as "time attack". Originally coined by Volk back when they were popular a year or two ago. That should help your search if that's the style you're looking for.

7. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #7 mini_racer, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    The wheel in the pic at Outmotoring will not fit a MINI as it has 5 lug holes and they don't even look like 1.2s. :frown2:
    Yeah, I know it is only a pic, but if you are gonna charge $200 for a wheel at least provide an exact picture of the product. Pro Race 1.2s that I have seen and what is displayed on the TDR website have 'TEAM DYNAMICS MOTORSPORTS' lettered in to the lip, whereas the wheels pictured on the Outmotoring site have a smooth lip with no lettering and might be 1.0s or 1.1s. I dunno.

As Rally stated, paint is not a concern as far as wheel weight.

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I don't want to hijack this post so I'll start another, I have bought the cheaper tuner wheels and see why they are cheaper, curious as to who the quality mfg's are. As I said I'll post separate, look forward to your replies

9. cheezeit

cheezeit New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    DFW
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont mind, i'm just trying to get ideas. After thinking about this, the TDR wheels are 199, which almost what I can get Enkei RPF1 in black for, and the RPF1's are lighter..

10. cheezeit

cheezeit New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    DFW
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    anyone know of a lightweight wheel, roughly in the same catagory as the ones so far, but more "deep dish". Like I like them to be sucked in more rather than flush with the out edge or the tire.

11. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    To get a deep lip, you'll need wider wheels.

MINI's aren't great at housing wide wheels. You can get pretty wide, but it requires stretched tires (i.e. 205/45/16 on 16x9) to avoid rubbing. While stretched tires are a great option, they aren't the best option if you're worried about traction with tires like 235's.

12. FredR53

FredR53 New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    crappy
    SA, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally like the Enkei Imolas, they come in black and sliver and looks great IMHO.