Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Wheel studs

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by BThayer23, Jul 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Anybody use the Turner 75mm wheel studs on their MINI? Turner Motorsport - Item# TWH9950B62 - TMS 75mm Wheel Studs - Most BMWs (E30, E36, E46, E90, E92, MINI etc)

I'm switching to studs to fit a BBK, and my brother recommended the Turner studs because the bullet nose makes it super easy to thread the nuts. He runs them on his BMW. I'm curious if 62mm of thread is enough (including 5mm spacer).

I have a set of new TSW studs sitting at my house, too. One other difference is the TMS nuts are hex, not spline drive (and oh yeah, the TMS set is 2x the price). I saw a bunch of people using cordless impact drivers on their studs when I was at NHMS a couple weeks ago, so if anybody wants to comment on that, I'm all ears.

These are the doubts that creep into my head while parts sit at the UPS distribution facility over the weekend, only to arrive on Monday and wait till the weekend to install...

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have a set of McGard SplineDrives in black gathering dust in my toolchest. Left from my MINI. 12x1.50

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #3 Nitrominis, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Been using the TSW studs for 2.5 years now. Wheels are swapped often. I did pass on the spline drive nuts and use the KICS R26 nuts. I'd not buy them again as the lug nuts are stupid expensive now.

Studs have held up great. I put a very light coat of anti-seize on them once a year. Might need to do that more often someplace where it rains or has snow.

I use a cordless gun all the time. Run them up just till snug and finish with a torque wrench.

TSW Studs also have the bullet nose as well, and there is plenty of thread left with a 5mm spacer. Unless you are running a huge spacer like a 15 or 20mm the TMS Studs are going to stick out quite a bit.

5. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Cool, thanks guys. I'll wait till the TMS set gets here and figure out which ones I like better. Good to know that there'll be more than enough thread on either set.

6. jeff@txwerks

jeff@txwerks New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Our TSW studs are made in the USA of high quality automotive grade heat treated steel and zinc phosphate plated for rust resistence. I had the TMS on my BMW e30 and they worked well but they are quite long and stuck out past the wheel.

Our studs do have a bullet nose to start the nut but we made it smaller along with the stud which is 65mm overall and 51mm protruding from the wheel hub. The TSW studs were made specifically for the MINI and will accomodate up to a 10mm spacer. We took a poll of the MINI community before making the studs and 99% of people wanted black studs with black chrome lug nuts.

7. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My MINI has TMS studs on the front hubs, and TSW studs on the back hubs. The TMS studs have been on the car for about two years now, and the TSW studs have been on the car for about three months less. They are both high-quality products and have not given me any trouble, and yes, I use impact guns, both electric and pneumatic. I also use a torque wrench, of course.

8. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I use the TMS 75mm studs - been very happy with them. No issues whatsoever, and they're long enough to accept more spacer if I want to use it.

[​IMG]

- Marc

9. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I run the TSW studs with 25mm spacers with no problems.

10. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    studs

TSW Studs and Lugs 1st week changed wheels 4 times already, it is not a task anymore. And the jack points make it easier, plus at Home Depot and bought adaptor so I can make the cordless work, to simplify even more.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    What kind of adaptor did you buy? Do they make a hardened steel splined socket?

12. xalfa

xalfa New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    3 years on TMS studs up front with 8mm spacers. No issues.