Wheel Wax - Local or On-line only?

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by MothAudio, Apr 26, 2014.

1. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Anyone in Columbus carry wheel wax or is this a product I need to order on-line? Looking for a long lasting product to apply to my wheels after I clean them with Sonax Full Force to reduce brake dust. Thanks!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  3. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
  4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have used that stuff and the heat will wear it off easy.

Here is a detailers trick I still do and do for others. Clean the wheel really well, Sonax, wipe them down and apply RainX then cover it with a sealant after you wipe off the RainX.

Yup RainX I am not kidding, it will repel water and brake dust under high heat.

Wax will just catch brake dust and hold onto it until the wax melts or wears off.

5. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave.0 What sealant are you using?

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I use BlackFire Wet Diamond on the inside barrels and the front faces. (Link below)

Wax protects by blocking UV rays and catching airborne stuff and not allowing it to damage your paint but it does not let them go. Sealant stops it from sticking and holding on. Lots of people forget that and that's why wax on wheels is not a good idea.

I do the whole set every year before I put them on for the season. (Spring/Summer) or (Fall/Winter)
    Every few weeks when I wash the car and have the time I put another layer of RainX on them or just re apply the sealant since it so easy on and off.

I like BlackFire because you only need a little to apply a thin coat and a little goes a long way. I have done 5 cars and my wife's SUV and the bottle is still 90% full. It is so easy to remove it just wipes off and feels ultra slick but not oily. If you wax your car inside a garage you can apply it and remove it in 5 -10 min or leave it on overnight like I do. When I leave it on overnight it's because my arms are tired of cleaning. It still wipes off just as easy the next morning. I seal the whole car at once and then wipe it off that day or the next.

Try it on you car you will be surprised when you rinse off your car.

$40.00 We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I think Dave.O uses Wheelwax as a top sealer over the Rain-X...

[​IMG]

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Dave if you put the sealer over the RainX. How is the RainX doing anything? Won't it stop the sealer for making a good bond?

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nope it works great. The RainX keeps stuff from sticking to the rim. Wax will not stick to the RainX but the chemical sealant will bond with it.

10. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I'll give the 16 oz size a shot.

11. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Anything else I need to order from there?

12. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info Dave. I used to use Zaino exclusively on the Vette, but I'm gonna give this stuff a try on the Mini and if it's as good as you say I'll probably switch to this for all my vehicles. Sounds less labor intensive. Since I retired the last time, less "labor intensive" has become more important to me. :)
    Also thanks for the suggestion about seeing Helix for programming of some convenience features. I have an appointment with them at 1000 Friday to install a Craven short shifter and add some bells and whistles to my comfort access.:Thumbsup:

13. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Is it essential or preferred to remove the BlackFire sealant?

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Not sure what you are asking? It's like wax but its a sealant.
    (Wipe on wipe off)

You can remove / strip any wax or sealant with Alcohol.
    If you want to do it quickly before you clay you can use quick wipes of Lacquer thinner or Acetone. A little bit on a MF rag and lightly but quickly wipe down a panel. This will strip everything on top of the clear coat.

Then you can clay away dirt and fallout and not waste clay removing wax and sealants.

When you start polishing you will be at the lowest level and polish to make it perfect.
    Once that is done you can seal it and layer sealants or waxes on your finish to protect it.

Remember Sealants seal and Wax's protect and shine. Sealants over the years have been getting better at looking like the warm deep shine of carnauba wax but they have not got it perfect just yet.

Remember as wax gets old it looses it gloss because it is full of the stuff it has captured by protecting you car from UV and fallout.

Also never ever wax over old wax.

You are just reactivating the carnauba in the hardened layer and spreading the crud around on you paint making very fine spider web scratches everywhere.

Wash very well before you Clay. After a good wash I wipe my care down with Alcohol wipes after it is dry.

Wash after you clay and before you polish just to make sure your car are is clean. You don't want to polish with dirt on your paint and have it picked up in your pad.

After I polish I wipe the care down with Alcohol wipes to remove any oil from the paint and insure the chemical sealant can bond correctly to the paint.

Then you can layer up your waxes anyway you want.

I am OCD but it all in the details.....:Thumbsup: