1st Gen R53 Cooper S Where is my exhaust leak ?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mini_racer, Jun 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #1 mini_racer, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
    Oh, there it is......damn.
    I have been hearing a little bit of a leak, can't really hear it that much at all with the windows up and the AC on. However, from the outside or with the windows down it has definitely sprung a leak.

I have a header with a plugged bung after the cat and was hoping that somehow the plug had become lose and had fallen out. No such luck, while the effective hole is about bung size it is going to be a little more complicated to repair.

Any suggestions on the fix to this JCW catback? This is the forward hanger location, just rear of the flange. Almost dead center of the car.

An effect of this hanger failure is that the system hangs about 3/4" lower in this center section than it should. So now the cat on the header smacks the top of the X-brace on firm pedal applications in first and second. Grrr!

Has anyone seen this type of JCW hanger failure before?

Anyway, looking for some suggestions before I pick the final path of the repair.
    - take it to any old shop with a stick welder?
    - customs exhaust shop with MIG?
    - SST welding with TIG?
    - keep the system on the car or remove?
    - chuck the whole exhaust and replace ?

[​IMG]

2. COOPERRACER7

COOPERRACER7 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would chuck it and go with a better system. I use magnaflow and get good gains. But is loud, In a good way:D

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Mine failed like that twice. Both times under warranty, so I let the dealer deal with it. Hasn't happened sense. Will probably go in a different direction should it happen again.

4. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have a Madness system that sprung a few leaks and rattles of it's own. I did get some warranty replacement bits, but I just switched back to the JCW system as the Madness was too loud for me anyway. The Madness was fine for me before I had the header.

5. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    So, did the dealership replace the whole thing or did they repair it? I am guessing they just replaced it.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, I don't remember. I would need to check my records, which are not here.

7. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0

Fix it. I would charge you an hour labor to R&R, Weld that sucker. You'd be back on the road for your 2000 mile drive home in no time.

8. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Haha, just a 4Kmi. round trip, well I better go and fill up first then.

Yeah, I am gonna fix it as the rest of the system looks great and it sounds good to me when not sporting extra holes.

So, have you performed this repair many times? Common failure? Also, did you beef it up in any way to help prevent a recurrence?

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    It's kind of interesting how MINI put that little window there. It's almost like they knew those hanger bracket welds would break, so they could get in there to make a quick weld repair. Huh

10. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #10 mini_racer, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
    Well, not sure if that window is large enough for the repair. However, you sure can make a proper inspection as to whether or not those hangers have broken when a customer complains of an exhaust leak.

If ONLY I had driven my car harder while it was still under warranty, then I could have gotten this fixed for free. :cryin:

Regret is a terrible thing.

11. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Try to have it repaired, but I don't give it much chance to last. Much depends on the number of heat cycles it's been through. If you would like to hybridize I have an Invidia resonator section you could cut the rear flange off and slip fit with a sleeve.

12. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes I hear ya. If the pipe has been heat cycled to the point where it is more brittle, it may just do it again pretty quickly. I will get it repaired though.

The forward hanger is rear of the resonator, so the resonator section with the flange is actually fine. Thanks for the offer though.

13. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, my local favorite exhaust shop can remedy the issue for $50, and likely 15 minutes of MIG welding. I was able to bring it by and get it on the lift today. Hopefully I can get it there in the morning and get this behind me, at least until it happens again.

I'll snap a pic after it is done, but I am not expecting it to be pretty.

I am looking forward to a normal exhaust sound and for the cat to stop smacking the top of the X-brace (very annoying) !

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    You might consider this. The JCW exhaust is stainless steel. I suspect the typical exhaust shop doesn't use SS Mig wire. You might ask them to switch over to SS just so the new welds don't cause rusting to occur in this area. Now, just in case you see light surface rust on the JCW exhaust, it's still stainless steel but a 400 series. A quick test will be to see if a magnet sticks. If it sticks it's 400 series, if it doesn't stick, its 304 series which is a better grade with very little to no rust. But of course, living in Austin Texas, with no salt on the roads, you may not see any rust regardless of the grade.

15. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I am planning to require SS Mig wire, but thanks for the reminder. Also, thanks for the info on 304 vs 400. And yeah, we never get salted roads here in central TX.

16. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    And so it is repaired.
    I was not able to secure SS wire, and could not find any shop that had SS wire. So damn, I just let them use the standard steel wire to get it done. I could let them order a small reel of SS wire, but would cost me an extra $140 and then I get to keep the remainder of the reel, which would likely be 99+% left over. Definitely frustrating, but it is done!

It is not pretty, but it is guaranteed.
    [​IMG]

Worth it to me for $50. It sounds great again, with the RMW header and JCW catback with no extra holes. It is beefed-up over OEM, and I like that the two hangers were welded to each other.

It is damn close to the OEM location as the cat no longer smacks the top of the X-brace, yippee! Case Closed!

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I would have sent you enough to do the job.:Thumbsup:

18. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well damn, thanks for the offer anyway.