Why do new cars keep getting more expensive.......

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Metalman, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Oh good grief!

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Oh man, I don't have any kids, so why should I care if somebody else's rugrat dies in the back of a car. Why should I pay an extra 14 dollars on my next new car -- even though I don't buy new cars, anymore. It's the principle of the thing. It's going to cost someone an extra 14 dollars, which means five years later, when I buy that car used, it's going to cost me at least 500 dollars of my hard-erned money. At least! That's what everybody tells me. I hear it all the time.

Or, maybe I'm blowing this whole thing out of proportion?

Naw, it can't be that.

CD

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Having very young grand children, this does have a little tiny bit of merit. So, you shut off the engine, if the bag of groceries in the back seat is present, your alarm goes off and the car slaps you into jail for grocery neglect.

Hard to enforce and not necessary in my mind, now not giving licenses to stupid people would be better money spent. Take a test before you can buy a car, no license, no test passed with a common sense factor that I would support.

Guess..... It may happen considering how dumb or government appears to be getting.

:(
    Don

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    If it saves some poor little kid from baking in the back of their stupid parents car it is worth it. I don't like the cost, but like that it can save some poor little kid a terrible death. For me that's worth the cost.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Perhaps it should not be so easy to get a license.

7. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    #7 caseydog, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    You don't even need a license to buy a gun.

Just sayin'.

(Oh, I'm gonna' get some chit for this post -- but it was a softball, I couldn't resist takin' a swing).

CD

EDIT: Okay, I'm an absent minded guy with an art degree, and I can't imagine myself leaving my poodle in a closed car in the summertime, although I have to admit he has tempted me a few times.

I honestly don't think this problem requires a new technology... I'm thinking a two-by-four to the side of the head of the person leaving the kid in the car is high-tech enough.

Then again, I've met some gun owners I'd like to introduce to that two-by-four, too. Seems like common sense isn't as common as it should be.

CD

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If you're too stupid that you forgot and left your kid in the car you should not have either the kid or the car.
    If they have to have the system then it should call 911 and have the parent arrested.

They now mandated back up cameras. Simple sensors that make a beep if anything is behind you is cheaper, easier to add, and better as it has been proven that people will react better to the sound than to something in the camera. You also have to retrain people to look at it instead of the mirrors or simply looking behind them (as I was taught).

There's over $5k of stuff on every new car that is mandated. That does not include the r&d and engineering. It adds cost and weight.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Maybe they should just put a chip in the kid and the parents and if they get to far apart the parents get self tased.

We cannot keep creating laws and mandate everyone to protect the kids of stupid people.

Next topic: Why do we not have a law for full drug testing for anyone on or applying for welfare or any another government assistance?

10. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Crashton that if this helps saves a child life it is worth it. I was looking up some stats on these types of deaths and saw that approximately 33% of them are children under 1, which makes me believe that there are multiple possibilities of things that could lead to these accidents (I remember not being at the top of my mental game when Lil' B.A.D. was a newborn). Don't get me wrong, there are definitely cases of people being stupid, so it may not prevent all incidents.

As far as backup cameras are concerned, most of the ones that I have had interactions with do have an audible sound if something is detected. I actually like the fact that my wife's car has the camera because that way I can hear the beep and then look at the screen to determine if there is something truly in my path. It would suck if it was audible only and I had to get out every time and check to see if something was behind me that could not be seen in the mirrors.

11. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I would support this, but seems like it could be hard to administer. Are you only testing for illegal drugs or if you test positive for a prescription drug do you have to prove you have a prescription for it.

12. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    On the back-up camera topic, I've never gotten the hang of them. I still use my side mirrors. My sister loves hers. It works for her -- but not for me. I get very uncomfortable if I try to make myself use the back-up camera in a car/truck/SUV.

CD

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    In aviation as aircraft became more automated and we got more safety devices the thought was to rely on them more because they were designed to lower accident rates. This thought came from non-pilots or pilots that did not fly much(management) What happened was the rate of mistakes and accidents went up. What was found was that the over reliance on automation caused problems also. So smarter people prevailed and we have better training. With better training the rate of mistakes and accidents went down. This is being very simplified to make my point.

So I am not opposed to safety devises but they will not solve the problem. They have the potential to make the problems worse because of over reliance on the safety equipment. What lowers the accident rate is training. In the driving world where people have little to no training they will become less vigilant because they assume the safety equipment will save them. When it doesn't you will hear cries from morons and government that we need even more safety equipment.

People need to take driving more seriously! I am sick of people that thank because they know how to steer a car they are experts on driving. And CD I tell all people that asks me about buying a gun not to unless they plan on getting training and go practice. So I know what you mean.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

If it saves my tax dollars I do not give a rats ass how hard it is to administer. We have state inspection, Emissions and State car registration I am sure that's hard to administer but they want tax money and they find a way to administer it.

This would save us MILLIONS if not more.

Start with ALL illegal drugs. If you are on welfare my tax dollars should not have to support your illegal drug habits. How do you expect to get a job and get off welfare if you can not pass a drug test? Almost every job requires them now.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I have driven exactly one car with a back up camera. Before that I though how stupid a back up camera who needs it? Once I experienced it I though what a great idea. I know how to back up without one, but will welcome it if one shows up on my next car.

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Yes test for all drugs. Find one & it's legal, show us the prescription please. Find an illegal one & kick them to the curb. I'm all for helping folks out who are truly in need, but those who lie there way into free stuff really upset me. They are taking things away from those in need & they're the lowest of the low.

17. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    I have a four wheel drive crew cab pick up and really appreciate having a back up camera.

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #18 Metalman, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Next up seatbelts for horseback riders.... Eventually we'll get horseback rider air bags...

Carp... I spoke too soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK.... Then maybe Federal mandated.... Backup cameras for horseback riders...:Thumbsup:

19. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    There was a study years ago when ABS become more common place. It found that accidents involving braking or lack of it went up. People were taking more risks thinking the ABS will bail them out.

We will most likely see this again as the auto driving nannies come on more cars.

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Bring back the "CRANK"

[​IMG]