Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Will these rotors be ok with EBC Red Stuff pads?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I have heard that using OEM rotors with EBC Red Stuff brake pads is not a good idea, someone saying OEM rotors were designed for organic pads. A few months ago I purchased Mini's Sport (drilled and slotted) rotors ($170 each) and am worried that the Red Stuff pads will shorten the life of my OEM Sport rotors, do I have anything to be concerned about running EBC's Red Stuff pads on Mini brand sport rotors?

Thanks,
    Systemlord.

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    You should have strong concerns about running EBC Red Stuff pads with any rotor. Several on here have had them come apart. Dave.O can fill you in.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I've been running EBC RedStuff pads with OEM MINI rotors front and rear for thousands of miles and no problems here. DaveO. did have some problems with them while running the Dragon but I've never had problems with them..:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    While running the Dragon? Huh?

Perhaps Dave.O can tell me of his experience...

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Try here: **READ EBC BRAKE USERS ~EBC PAD FAILURES* If that doesn't bring it up, go to the forums and type this into the 'SEARCH' and it should come up. You are wise to research.:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    These OEM pads are driving me crazy with the amount of brake dust after short 50 miles trips! I do love the way how the OEM brakes have this low speed initial bite. How does the Carbotech Bobcat 1521 compare with EBC Red Stuff? I'm aware of issues with EBC pads including the Red Stuff.

2007 MCS

1. Will be using Sport Drilled & Slotted dealer brand rotors.
    2. Looking for low dust pads.
    3. Strong initial bite at any speed.

Opinions welcome!

Thank you.

8. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I have the carbotech pads; not sure compared to ebc. They are awesome imho. I use carbotech 1521 with sp performance slotted rotors. Initial bite is great and very strong and hardly any dust.
    Went on a River Run with some of the guys around my parts and brakes were perfect and I mean tip top perfect; couldn't ask for better at the moment.

I also have R53 JCW brakes which are approximately the same as the R56 brakes that you have. I think if I'm not wrong the JCW calipers are still a little better.

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The initial bite on the carbotechs isn't quite the same as EBC's. The trade off is less dust and gentle on the rotors, and carbotechs for some odd reason tend to stay attached to the backing plates.

The Bobcats are as good as any pad out there for a daily driver IMHO.

10. Herleman

Herleman New Member

May 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    We've had four sets of Akebonos. They last well, and produce little brake dust. What little is produced is a whitish silver color and is invisible on silver wheels.\

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If you don't run the Akebono's hard (auto X or god forbid Track) they are great pads and keep your wheels clean. Just like OEM pads without all the OEM dust.

Carbotech Bobcats are awesome and I will NEVER run EBC Reds or any pad they make ever again.