Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Wilwood 11.75 BBK

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jeffster06, Jul 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I have had a Wilwood bbk for about a year and a half now. Lately I noticed that the driver side caliper creaks. It makes this sound while braking that kind of pulses, well at least it sounds that way I only hear the echo off of curbs or walls etc. I noticed though if I push the brakes while stopped it makes the sound as well, it follows the pulse of my foot (creak in, creak out, if that makes sense). The only thing I can think of is it is the brake pads moving across the clips that hold them in. I had to remove the pads last week to replace a wheel bearing and noticed a similar sound while sliding the pads out. Is there anything I can do about this noise? or is this just how they are over time as the pads wear? I also had a friend listen on the passenger side and he said it made no noise.

2. PoonRacing

PoonRacing Member

May 2, 2011
    Ohio & Hong Kong
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problems with my TCE Wilwood BBK w/DP6 calipers, all need it good cleaning. I use some solvent clean up all the brake dust build up on the piston and pad contact area and it did the trick.

3. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I'll give that a try, that's the one thing I always have plenty of on the shelf... brake parts cleaner, works wonders on wasps too lol.

4. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I brake parts cleaner mine with every pad swap :Thumbsup:

It is also better than goo-gone for sticky residue and tint removal, that stuff has so many uses!

5. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Finally got around to cleaning the caliper. I found that the spring clips that sit on the sides of the pads to be the culprit. Pulling them off and cleaning thoroughly did the trick no more noise :)

6. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I do have a TCE 13" front + 11.75" rear kit with around 3K miles on them for sale if anybody is interested...

7. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Well the noise has come back and it almost seems more obnoxious than before I cleaned the caliper. I know the cause of the sound is because of the "wear clips" (what wilwood calls them) on the sides of the pads. I spent some money and have new clips coming in, hopefully the new clips silence this annoying almost embarrassing creaking clicking sound.

The only upside to this is the fact the noise is really only an annoyance. :mad:

8. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Well it seems no amount of cleaning is doing the trick, I even replaced the wear clips on the caliper and the creaking/clicking sound still persists. Guess I will be living with this sound until I can figure something out.

9. PoonRacing

PoonRacing Member

May 2, 2011
    Ohio & Hong Kong
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    same here for me creaking/clicking sound come back. I did some research it passible cause by the brake pad seen it don't have any shim, I'm going to get some and cut a price of shim and add some anti-squeal grease in between see that will work or not, I'll keep you update.

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    How long have you had them? Do they have dust boots? If they don't, it may be time for a rebuild.

11. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I have had the kit for a little over a year now, I'm still on the first set of pads. No dust boots. When I cleaned everything off I did not see any leaks. I can even press the little silver clips and hear them creak so I am positive thats where the noise is from. I wonder if new pads would make the noise stop?
    I have though about possibly putting a tiny bit of brake quiet on the backside of the clip like this (Caliper >>> brake quiet>>>clip>>>pad<<<clip<<<brake quiet<<<Caliper) my best interpretation of how it would look while looking down onto the caliper. Also seeing the clips are called wear clips maybe the noise is an indicator of some sort? The pads still have plenty of life left on them.

Also Poonracing Wilwood sells shims that you can put on the back side of the pad. in my case I don't think this will help seeing it is the clips it slides into on the caliper making the noise not where the piston contacts.