WMW BOV Feedback

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Way Motor Works, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Thought I might as well bring this up too. There has been alot of discussion lately about WMW blow off valve, or diverter valve whatever you want to call it. But since NAM is down it is hard for it to continue and for me to even post back. So I thought I'd start a thread here. Feel free to post about it.

[​IMG]

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Way....
    I thought the R56 diverter valve was built into the hot side of the turbo scroll. The part in your picture looks plastic? Is this item located somewhere else?

I was interested in the HKS Bov, until I read about the same issues you pointed out.

Also....
    How far out time wise is your R56 JCW option?

3. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I just got my WMW valve. Going to attempt the install now. I think the instructions were to remove the water reservoir like you're doing an oil change, and the OEM valve is there and can be swapped out. I'm a little concerned that the so called stiffer spring on the WMW unit isn't much different than the one in my 2010 Clubman S as there was some discussion that this mainly benefitted 2009 and earlier models.

I will document the process.

Richard

4. futuremini

futuremini New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ordered mine today. Will post back after install and test drives. :Thumbsup:

5. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Well I got my valve installed. Wasn't too difficult. I lost a T30 inside my engine bay, and lost a lot of coolant too, but other than that, wasn't terribly difficult once I moved the hoses out of the way. My initial thoughts are that the old spring and new spring resistance doesn't feel much different, but the amount that the plunger portion extends from the body is much further. I compressed the OEM spring 10 times and repeated, and compared to doing the same thing with the WMW valve and then took a picture. Not sure if that difference in length will affect anything. Time to go for a drive!

6. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #6 Octaneguy, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    Ok, not sure if it's just my imagination, but having the WMW valve installed seemed to make driving without Sport Mode actually quite tolerable. Normally there is a huge difference in acceleration at low speeds, such that I always remember to hit the Sport button, but after the mod, I felt like I was in Sport mode already.

Here's my "How To" on installing this Diverter Valve.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s-clubman-s-engine-drivetrain/4877-installing-wmw-diverter-blow-off-valve.html#post47396

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Way installed one of these on my car back in the spring. Thing I immedialtly noticed was that it removed all turbo lag that the OEM one had. Butt dyno says it give me a little more acceleration.

For $60 some odd dollars it gives a great bang for the buck. no brainer

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Way......
    Any word on the likely hood and timing of this for the JCW?

9. futuremini

futuremini New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you Octaneguy. This is how my car felt too. Nice improvement. :Thumbsup: